Cow Bell noise maker during live baall play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2022
PGF game in Arizona, we use NFHS rules, NCAA pitching rules. We have fans using a cow bell while opposing pitcher is throwing her pitch. I'm the plate umpire, stop the game and tell the fan not to ring the bell during live ball play. Advise the coach it was distracting to the pitcher and her coach couldn't effectively communicate with her and the catcher.
I'm looking for a rule number that applies, like NFHS 3.6.13c.
Serious comments only please.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
While not an umpire, I'd like to weigh in on this. I can't imagine that, as a parent, I'd be so insecure in my team's abilities that I would try to interject myself into the game trying to distract the opposing pitcher. Fortunately, in all of the games my dd played, we never ran into that.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
While not an umpire, I'd like to weigh in on this. I can't imagine that, as a parent, I'd be so insecure in my team's abilities that I would try to interject myself into the game trying to distract the opposing pitcher. Fortunately, in all of the games my dd played, we never ran into that.
12U TB days. There was a dad hiding at another field and would happen to blow into a vuvuzela when our pitcher was pitching. The TD put a stop to that. We won the tourney.

May 27, 2013
Haha - we had the “cowbell” going in full force against our team in the 11U Little League State Tournament. Unfortunately for them - there was a “No outside noisemaker” rule. ?

Apr 2, 2022
NFHS does not have any rules on noise makers, especially those being used by spectators. That is a tournament director issue to address with the fans if they feel it is an issue.
Thank you all for the responses

Sep 19, 2018
I can't imagine that, as a parent, I'd be so insecure in my team's abilities that I would try to interject myself into the game trying to distract the opposing pitcher.
Most people suck. 12u I ran into a parent yelling and being obnoxious to the pitcher. I was first base coach and made eye contact with him. He looked at me and said, “well I have to try.”

Another a team when we were hitting every ball hit in the air had screams of, “I got it!!!” Coming from the other side of the field.

3 separate occasions I’ve caught parents behind the backstop stealing and relaying signs to the batter. 2 times in 12u and once in 14.

May 3, 2023
Most people suck. 12u I ran into a parent yelling and being obnoxious to the pitcher. I was first base coach and made eye contact with him. He looked at me and said, “well I have to try.”

Another a team when we were hitting every ball hit in the air had screams of, “I got it!!!” Coming from the other side of the field.

3 separate occasions I’ve caught parents behind the backstop stealing and relaying signs to the batter. 2 times in 12u and once in 14.

I’ve always said we should lock parents up in a Soundproof Room!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831