Coach said...but Parents said...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
As an FYI and as you know some members here know me, to be fair, in my community, I am known as, "Coach." When I get a tea in the morning, everyone calls me coach. When I pump gas, people stop and call me coach. In Small Town, USA, that is the way things are sometimes done. Heck, even my students called me coach in the classroom. I know many of your situations are a lot different. If I didn't have the resume that I have, things would be different.

BTW, please know that I won't be offended by any of your response counter to what I do. Such is life.

Rad, I got the nickname Cannonball in HS. In one game, I broke a 2B leg and a SS arm sliding into second base. I've always been intense. In speaking to the newspaper my HS coach described me as a Cannonball and that stuck.

Oct 4, 2018
This includes breaks and summer. Should have elaborated a little more. Not to mention online training.

Gotcha. That's a bit more prohibitive, for sure. So what are the girls expected to do over the summer? Take a break from softball, or only work on approved activities?

Jun 8, 2016
From a skills perspective, if a kid is continually improving, and the coach knows it is from working with whatever instructor they work with (including the parent(s)), then the coach would be stupid to interfere. On the otherhand a parent shouldn't be offended when a coach intervenes when your kid isn't improving regardless of whether they are getting outside instruction or not. The key is improvement (over a reasonable amount of time). Team based things (cuts, bunt defense, etc) should be left to the coaches. Those are easily re-learned if necessary.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
As an FYI and as you know some members here know me, to be fair, in my community, I am known as, "Coach." When I get a tea in the morning, everyone calls me coach. When I pump gas, people stop and call me coach. In Small Town, USA, that is the way things are sometimes done. Heck, even my students called me coach in the classroom. I know many of your situations are a lot different. If I didn't have the resume that I have, things would be different.

BTW, please know that I won't be offended by any of your response counter to what I do. Such is life.

Rad, I got the nickname Cannonball in HS. In one game, I broke a 2B leg and a SS arm sliding into second base. I've always been intense. In speaking to the newspaper my HS coach described me as a Cannonball and that stuck.
Now I have this image of you coming into 2B head first like Pete Rose!

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Gotcha. That's a bit more prohibitive, for sure. So what are the girls expected to do over the summer? Take a break from softball, or only work on approved activities?
Not sure what the summer program will be. I’m sure coach wouldn’t want any changes made by outside instructors. DD will play a few fairly local tourneys for fun as she’s still 18U eligible. .

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
You start with "I noticed you teaching Susie (insert concern here) when she was taught to do it this way and she's kind of uncomfortable doing it your way".

No, the parents have no role or say in strategy and I say that as a parent.

This is a good conversation point!

Imo
Do believe it is fair and reasonable to think and ask questions!
Players should! In early years parents responsibility at times need to inquire..

Conversation point-
"She was taught this _____"
Brings up the points
1.More than one way to do things.
2.Give coach opportunity to explain reason why coach preferes what they do.
3.Brings awareness to coach you and player are thinking.
4.Think its good to bring up the difference in coaching created uncomfortable. To understand and resolve!
5.PLUS....Get to know how coach handles communication!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018
My DD attends a weekly softball fielding clinic run by a former MLB player and he really puts the girls through their paces. Their one big mantra is "Get comfortable with being uncomfortable". Basically meaning they know it may not be the way you're used to doing something, but they're teaching the "right way" with footwork, slot throws, etc. It's not uncommon to see numerous girls doing push ups and hearing the instructor saying "This ain't Burger King, we're not doing it your way". Best two hours of my week is spent watching that lol

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
My DD attends a weekly softball fielding clinic run by a former MLB player and he really puts the girls through their paces. Their one big mantra is "Get comfortable with being uncomfortable". Basically meaning they know it may not be the way you're used to doing something, but they're teaching the "right way" with footwork, slot throws, etc. It's not uncommon to see numerous girls doing push ups and hearing the instructor saying "This ain't Burger King, we're not doing it your way". Best two hours of my week is spent watching that lol

Pardon me, have to comment,
Makes me laugh when i hear that phrase
"Get comfortable being
uncomfortable"

I get it, means
Grow out of comfort zone.

However communicating with that phrase kinda bad explanation.

It does not mean things like
"Use this awkward and wrong footwork eventhough your uncomfortable with it."

Sometimes uncomfortable is something to be paid attention too!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
A lot of it comes down to ego... Some coaches think they know better than other instructors. Some instructors think they know better than other coaches. Some parents think they know better than everyone else. Discussion is great if both parties are open to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardSwinson