change up vs. off speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
I think there is a NEED for both at the national level ("TB-A" in my book of definitions)

At the national level sometimes a change-up just has too good of a chance to get reloaded and rocked by a batter. An off-speed on the other hand might not get as many dramatic strike-outs as compared to the CU but it can be a more confident out brought on by the weak hit more guranteed by it.

Having three speeds has been HUGE for DD.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
I think there is a NEED for both at the national level ("TB-A" in my book of definitions)

At the national level sometimes a change-up just has too good of a chance to get reloaded and rocked by a batter. An off-speed on the other hand might not get as many dramatic strike-outs as compared to the CU but it can be a more confident out brought on by the weak hit more guranteed by it.

Having three speeds has been HUGE for DD.
There is a difference in a change up and a great change up. Maybe you have seen a bunch of change ups and haven't seen a great one yet. I've see more bird dogged change ups than good deceiving change ups in college games on TV.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
What is a bird dog???
A change up with a motion, different than the rest of the pitches. A change up that isn't deceiving to the batter. A chicken winged roll over drop is a bird dogged pitch. A palmed ball that the hitter sees, before it is released, telling a change up is coming.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Timing is a relative thing. It has nothing to do with the pitchers motion but has everything to do with the batter's ability to read the speed of the ball and react. Timing changes for the hitter as each pitch is thrown. A batter may be timed to hit a fast pitch but after several slower ones is now timed to hit a slower one. That's why the pitcher is trying to throw a pitch to the hitter that is not where the hitter's timing mechanism is, at that particular time. A great changeup for one batter may not be that great to the next one because their timing could be different.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Pitching Dad, anwer I was hoping to hear.

Coach FP, you are saying it is all based on the ball's speed after release? If a pitcher's ball speed, at best, is not very fast this would certainly work I'm sure. However, what happens to tat batter if the pitcher can throw so fast that bnatter doesnt have time to watych the ball travel, decide when to pull the trigger on THIS pitch?

Jul 14, 2008
What is a bird dog???
ma_birddog.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207