Challenging a starter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

moe

Aug 14, 2013
14U B+ team. What would be an appropriate way for a player to make their desire known that they wish to challenge a starter for a particular position?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not sure about “challenging” a starter but I would first make sure her batting is solid then I would say something like this to the coach:

“I have been working really hard at 2nd, is there anything I can work on to get more playing time there?”

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am not sure about “challenging” a starter but I would first make sure her batting is solid then I would say something like this to the coach:

“I have been working really hard at 2nd, is there anything I can work on to get more playing time there?”

I agree with Quincy. At 14u and above, I would also suggest that the player do the talking. Not the parent. Coaches (at least this coach) like to see/hear that desire directly from the player. Sometimes the parent's desire and the player's desire do not match.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I would encourage your daughter to tell the coach that she really likes second base and is working hard on her own to get better fielding grounders, etc., and would like to play that position more in games - but that she also wants to do what is best for the team and will play hard at whatever position she's called on to play.

That last part is critical because it shows that the player sees the bigger picture and isn't focused on her individual desire to play a certain position.

If she asks the coach, "How can I compete to be the starting second baseman?", that can be seen as a selfish question because being the starting second baseman - even if she plays that position better than anybody else - is not necessarily what gives the team the best overall defense. What the coach wants and team needs is more important than what one individual player wants, and so she wants to convey that understanding in any conversation.

May 17, 2012
We have open competition drills at every practice to evaluate our players. As a head coach I would encourage players to talk to their coach and let them know specifically what position they are interested in.

I will find a pool play game or scrimmage game to get them in a new or different position.

Once they are in that position it's up to them to perform.

Oct 19, 2009
This is what I would tell my DD.

Life is about competing you compete for grades, jobs, friends and positions on the ball field.

IF you are doing the same thing as everyone else, if you're training same way as everyone else, then don't be surprised if you perform the same as everyone else. If you want to be better than your competition you need to put in more time and effort than they do.

It can be more time, more effort, more heart, but there has to be more of something. So if you train like everyone else you will perform like everyone else, you need to set your self apart from your competition. :)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
As a coach I'd enjoy the discussion, but I'd be blunt in my response. I play to win, play my best players to get there. Previous practices and game stats have given me the conclusion of who I play where and why. Routine plays don't earn many point in my book, it's the one who can be the game changer, clutch player/hitter, the one who can deal with the challenge of a tie game and have the control/focus to come out on top.

So and so start for a reason, you gotta beat them out fair and square...........period.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom