Are Midrange bats a thing for a HS player?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
should probably re-phrase about my DS. He is serious about the sport but he's still young (7.5yo) so he's not into super expensive equipment just yet.
Just wait. Those baseball bats get ridiculous, especially with all the different sanctioning bodies.

We carry every major brand in new bats, so I'm sure I can save you money, but I'd definitely look for something gently used first.

Jan 25, 2022
Some teams have team bats as well. I've told the kids swinging the rawlings special to just borrow one. They're always welcome to use my daughter's LXT.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Honestly, there arent many midrange bats. You have cheaper and top tier. Some bat manufacturers
make a few models of top tier bats that will differ in price. For example, The regular Ghost is cheaper
than the ADV. Xeno is cheaper than the LXT. Carbons are cheaper than the Power Carbon...stuff like that.
You also dont have to settle for cheaper bats. Some manufacturers give dealers lots of room to wiggle like
Mizuno does...so I can work a Mizuno for used bat prices. You can also go leftover bats, but those are getting
slow to come down in price. You can also go used, but just dont overpay for bats with no warranty because you have
no idea what that bat was put thru. The real small sizes are fine...but the bigger bats, kids can put a lot of use
on a bat hitting whatever they wanted to and you have no idea.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021
Get on Louisville Slugger email list and look for the Bat day deals. Can normally get one of the previous years models for 50% when bat day happens.

The 2022 Xeno can be had on Amazon for 250 right now. It's a great bat, especially for kids that are a little stronger and don't mind feedback.

May 21, 2024
Some teams have team bats as well. I've told the kids swinging the rawlings special to just borrow one. They're always welcome to use my daughter's LXT.
Her team works this way too, though they have limited funds and equipment. There's is one "team" ghost, not sure what model/age/condition, but also no clue what size. Not that she couldn't choke up on a longer bat, but not super ideal.

Jan 20, 2023
They seem to be clearing out Marucci Echo and Echo Connects right now. My daughter hits really well with one - for around $200 it’s a really good buy.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
They seem to be clearing out Marucci Echo and Echo Connects right now. My daughter hits really well with one - for around $200 it’s a really good buy.
That's because the new line comes out in July. We can't get anymore from Marucci until the new ones arrive.

Oct 17, 2023
Thanks for the clearance recommendation. Is there a certain time of year that clearance typically happens? My luck it just ended, lol. I also understand there are supported vendors here that may have prices lower than local B&M stores?

I should probably re-phrase about my DS. He is serious about the sport but he's still young (7.5yo) so he's not into super expensive equipment just yet. He's obsessed and throws like a rocket (and with accuracy) which amazes me daily, and can hit off the machine at his rec league to the outfield, so it seems he might be the one that pushes us towards TB if he stays with it.
I've found several used bats on Sideline Swap as well that were in really good condition for my daughter. You can regularly find Marucci DMNDs, Xenos, LXTs, Prisms, Mantras and CFs for sale in the 180-250 range depending on quality.

Also, Justbats.com sells demo bats that were returned at some really good rates. There is usually a rating for the quality of the demo to give you an idea of what you are getting. They also have some that they are closing out I beleive. Most of the lightly used or closeout bats are going to run you the same as a new midrange like the Spryte, Firefly or Nexus so I have had better luck going the used route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831