BRUH.. If it ain't Broke then Don't Fix it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I agree that "improvement" may be a better measure of success, but most TB and HS coaches do not care about mechanics, they just want results.

Which is sad, really.

As a rec and middle school coach, my focus is on "the next level." IMO, a coach should place his/her emphasis on that. Whether it be the next level of the game or the next level of personal growth/achievement, getting there is a worthy goal to strive for. As an example within the hitting topic here: if I have a kid who is hitting well with poor mechanics, then we work on the mechanics even if that hurts her hitting at this moment. She will not like it, but my eye is on to the future and I make sure she knows 1) we will make only 1 change at a time, 2) it will pay off in the end, and 3) I don't care if her BA drops through the floor during the transition. I make sure her parents have bought in and know what to look for (Technique app with markups is hugely helpful there). I want her next coach to get her and be glad she came through me on the way.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Personally, I think the first issue is whether the HC knows anything about high-level mechanics. If not, he/she should either learn them (as practiced here) or stay out of it.

But assuming he/she does have some clue, the next move is finding out who is already getting instruction. When I coached teams I would always check that, and avoid imposing my methods/beliefs on anyone who was learning differently. Even if I disagreed with what they were being taught. Instead, when I saw the girl struggle I would ask her what her hitting/pitching/whatever coach would say to correct it. Usually that got the girl thinking and would help without disrupting what they'd been working on. It's a fine line to balance along.

Coaches always seem to want to help the top players. But as I've said before, that's not where the ROI is. Work with the girls who are bringing up the rear. If you can get them to the middle of the pack you'll have done much more for the team than trying to get an incremental improvement out of a top player or two.

In an ideal situation the HC doesn't have to teach the players anything. Just give them opportunity to practice their skills and improve on them. The HC can then focus on strategy and teaching the thinking part of the game which rarely gets covered in lessons. Also on building timing and chemistry between the players, softball conditioning and competitiveness. If the situation is less than ideal, shore up the weak points and move on from there.

As for kids with poor mechanics but good results, they likely would be better with better mechanics. If they're paying to learn poor mechanics, perhaps take the parents aside and show them what great players do compared to their daughter, and suggest that she might be even better if she worked along those lines. Ultimately, though, leave it up to the parents. Some will choose not to see the difference. You can't save everyone, especially from themselves.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
There is often the mentality that "If I didn't teach it to them, I need to fix them." OR "If they didn't learn it from me, it couldn't possibly be correct."
Again, it's a problem of excess ego.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Isn't your dd in travel ball? Isn't she getting "looks" from a college already? Shouldn't this be the norm? JS

Well case in point. If it aint broke don't fix it. My kid is hitting well right now,why would you change something if its working? Yes both pitcher and my kid are both in travel. So both good athletes in general. We never as should you never expect to hit homers every time up to bat. Homers are accidents. I do expect quality hits from her though. As that was the other night.

Aug 20, 2015
Well case in point. If it aint broke don't fix it. My kid is hitting well right now,why would you change something if its working? Yes both pitcher and my kid are both in travel. So both good athletes in general. We never as should you never expect to hit homers every time up to bat. Homers are accidents. I do expect quality hits from her though. As that was the other night.

Huh? Why the sense of adulation that she hit a hr off a travel ball pitcher then? How did she do in her other at bats against the travel ball pitcher? What does homers are accidents mean? I have never heard that before.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
Huh? Why the sense of adulation that she hit a hr off a travel ball pitcher then? How did she do in her other at bats against the travel ball pitcher? What does homers are accidents mean? I have never heard that before.

Because the pitcher is a very good athlete. Maybe I left this out, but this was at our 18U level rec program. If my kid would have taken it over with a weaker pitcher, yes it would have still been a good hit, just not a good achievement.

With homers being accidents, do you expect your dd to hit a homer every time up to bat?? IF so, my dd needs to go to your hitting class.

Aug 20, 2015
Because the pitcher is a very good athlete. Maybe I left this out, but this was at our 18U level rec program. If my kid would have taken it over with a weaker pitcher, yes it would have still been a good hit, just not a good achievement.

With homers being accidents, do you expect your dd to hit a homer every time up to bat?? IF so, my dd needs to go to your hitting class.

WOW! It gets better. Was it an 18U Gold pitcher? That still doesn't make any sense. If they are accidents why is not just as big of a deal off a weaker pitcher? So when are they no longer accidents and just a product of good hitting?

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
WOW! It gets better. Was it an 18U Gold pitcher? That still doesn't make any sense. If they are accidents why is not just as big of a deal off a weaker pitcher? So when are they no longer accidents and just a product of good hitting?

WOW, why do I feel like I'm talking to OILF here!

Ok I will break this down kindergarten style to you as best I can.

Its 18U rec. Meaning usually all the girls are better than the lower divisions that play up.Mix of HS girls with better caliber 8th graders too. Case in point with situation. Both players are good, it was a good match up and the results were great too. If you really think homers are done on purpose, then not sure what else to tell you? LOL

Aug 20, 2015
WOW, why do I feel like I'm talking to OILF here!

Ok I will break this down kindergarten style to you as best I can.

Its 18U rec. Meaning usually all the girls are better than the lower divisions that play up.Mix of HS girls with better caliber 8th graders too. Case in point with situation. Both players are good, it was a good match up and the results were great too. If you really think homers are done on purpose, then not sure what else to tell you? LOL

I never said anything about home runs being on purpose. I am just trying to get clarification on the "homers are accidents" thing. Did Lauren Chamberlin experience that many accidents during her career? Why are good high school players playing in a rec division? Isn't there another level of player for the better players?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl