BRUH.. If it ain't Broke then Don't Fix it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
I have never heard of Alex Hugo. I will take your word on the hitters foot in the video.

I would also never teach a hitter to hit like that. She could jump up and down and do cartwheels before she hits a homerun.

Point is that mechanics are 1/3 of the hitting equation. Those that like to focus on the 1/3 are ignoring the other 2/3 to prove or disprove their points.

Parents, hitting coaches, and team coaches spend a lot of time arguing about the 1/3. I just focus on the other 2/3 with my players; less arguing and better results for my team.

Parents always think that their hitting coach made some tweak that made a difference. I just smile and nod.

Just my observations.

Dec 27, 2014
Fortunately, DD"s HC asked if she had a PC, and has never troubled her since. I am not sure what was going to happen, but since every other pitcher on the team is hand on top of the ball...

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
What's being overlooked here is the role of the parent, who must know enough to know: a) whose teaching is "correct" and b) understand the difference between style and mechanical absolutes. With respect to "a)" above, sometimes it is the coach, sometimes it is the paid instructor, and sometimes it is neither!

For catchers my advice would be to buy the new NECC DVD and go with whatever they recommend.....and tell your TB, HS and catching instructor the same.
The New England Catching Camp - Online Store
NECC.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
As a coach, one of my first questions to the parents is "Does your DD take private lessons?" I make it clear that I will not attempt to teach a girl who is already being instructed. I will, however, mention to the parents any issues I see and ask them to take it up with the private instructor. I keep it simple for the parents but with enough info for the instructor to work with.

Nov 23, 2014
I ran into this issue last year. Thankfully the head coach didn't try to change my daughter. It made it tough during hitting practice when the team was learning a different method from what the hitting instructor was teaching. The hitting coach invited the head coach to come watch a lesson a discuss, but the head coach never took him up on it. He just respectfully gave my daughter space but I don't think he really agreed with everything. But to the head coach's credit, he never tried to change her swing. This year, her hitting instructor is her head coach. So, no issues.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I ran into this issue last year. Thankfully the head coach didn't try to change my daughter. It made it tough during hitting practice when the team was learning a different method from what the hitting instructor was teaching. The hitting coach invited the head coach to come watch a lesson a discuss, but the head coach never took him up on it. He just respectfully gave my daughter space but I don't think he really agreed with everything. But to the head coach's credit, he never tried to change her swing. This year, her hitting instructor is her head coach. So, no issues.

So the $1000 question becomes "how did your DD hit last season"? If your DD was knocking the cover off the ball and the rest of the team struggled, you would think that the TB coach would put your hitting instructors number on speed dial. If your DD struggled and the rest of the team knocked the cover off the ball, you may need a new hitting instructor!

May 17, 2012
So the $1000 question becomes "how did your DD hit last season"? If your DD was knocking the cover off the ball and the rest of the team struggled, you would think that the TB coach would put your hitting instructors number on speed dial. If your DD struggled and the rest of the team knocked the cover off the ball, you may need a new hitting instructor!

I like where you are going with this but I disagree about comparing the hitters. Perhaps his daughter was a .200 hitter and the coach got her up to .250 with improved mechanics. Is it fair to compare her to a .300 hitter with poor mechanics?

This is why I don't like it when someone uses a hitter with good stats to justify mechanics. How good would the .300 hitter be if she actually had proper mechanics?

Not everyone can hit .475 no matter how good thier mechanics are.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I like where you are going with this but I disagree about comparing the hitters. Perhaps his daughter was a .200 hitter and the coach got her up to .250 with improved mechanics. Is it fair to compare her to a .300 hitter with poor mechanics?

This is why I don't like it when someone uses a hitter with good stats to justify mechanics. How good would the .300 hitter be if she actually had proper mechanics?

Not everyone can hit .475 no matter how good thier mechanics are.

I agree that "improvement" may be a better measure of success, but most TB and HS coaches do not care about mechanics, they just want results. I know several players with mechanically sound swings who hit @ less than .200

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl