Bat rolling??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
How do we know that? Good bat rollers are very precise about the amount of pressure they apply to achieve maximum performance and they do it very uniformly. I don't see how anyone could be as accurate by hitting balls.

A hitter's performance is more than how far they can occasionally hit the ball - it's also how consistent they are getting strong hits. I'd say a rolled bat also provides more consistent performance which aids the hitter.

I wish we could do the "Pepsi Challange" in this instance, but it would be an EXPENSIVE experiment.

Maybe we could get Greenmonsters to buy me 10 brand new CF7's, 9 of those I could break in over a couple of months hitting in the cages, 1 we could send off to be professionally rolled. It would be extremely difficult to dang near impossible for anyone to distinguish the rolled bat ( performance ) vs the other 9.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
IMHO - The great hitter with an old alloy bat is far and away more dangerous than the average player with a juiced composite.

Depends on the game and what dangerous you mean. I would be more on board if you are just saying rolled...but juiced (shaved) is a completely different animal.

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Before anyone gets crazy about safety, rolling ONLY gets a bat to 100%, nothing more nothing less. So we can use accelerated methods of "break in" for certain equipment, but not others?

Not necessarily correct, you have people out there that crunch the heck out of bats. No regular usage will break fibers and soften the bat up that much.

I could get a bat to fail compression after the first rolling. Now, how about I roll it every other day? Not hard, but to keep loosening. I really dont think your regular bat is ever gonna catch up.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have been to a few camps where the host school lays out a selection of their contract bats for the prospects to use. If you can't swing what the school swings it really does not matter what you can do with your pet composite. Keeps the playing field level since if you can hit, you can hit with anything.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I have been to a few camps where the host school lays out a selection of their contract bats for the prospects to use. If you can't swing what the school swings it really does not matter what you can do with your pet composite. Keeps the playing field level since if you can hit, you can hit with anything.

The amount of garbage out there is probably why they do that...smart on their part.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

I'd consider having at least one hitting station where they have to swing wood. Quickest way to confirm the hitters with fundamentally sound swings IMO. Also a good test to see how each responds/adapts to adversity/the unexpected.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I wish we could do the "Pepsi Challange" in this instance, but it would be an EXPENSIVE experiment.

Maybe we could get Greenmonsters to buy me 10 brand new CF7's, 9 of those I could break in over a couple of months hitting in the cages, 1 we could send off to be professionally rolled. It would be extremely difficult to dang near impossible for anyone to distinguish the rolled bat ( performance ) vs the other 9.

Core - No problem, go right ahead on those CF7s and charge my Paypal account - its GoingDeep@DFPbucketdads.com ;)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I'd consider having at least one hitting station where they have to swing wood. Quickest way to confirm the hitters with fundamentally sound swings IMO. Also a good test to see how each responds/adapts to adversity/the unexpected.

My DD's college team used to keep wood bats on hand for use in games from time to time. When players were not hitting as dictated by the situation (Me Swings vs Team Swings) the composites would go away and they swing wood. Once they get back to swinging for the team they go back to the Eastons. I have done the same with my 18U TB team but using two old alloy bats in 33" & 34". Just the appearance of them in the bat rack and the thought of the embarrassing PING when they hit usually keeps the hitters focused on the task at hand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarie1234