Bat rolling??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Bat rolling provided a competitive advantage when composite bats became "hotter" after break in. Today's bats are as hot "out of the wrapper" as they will ever get, so there is no reason to roll them. Older bats that are still legal and become "hotter" than ASA standards are the ones that sell for $400+ on Ebay.....

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
How exactly do you determine if a bat has been rolled? What is the testing process?

There is no testing procedure - "rolling" was designed to accelerate the break in period - it essentially had the same effect as hitting 500+ balls, so how can someone determine if the bat was rolled or just well used? Shaving a bat is a different story and people should not confuse the two.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
It is illegal and could severely damage newer bats. Is it detectable on the old models, no, unless done very badly...and no, not even if the bat is opened up and looked at.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So if I understand correctly a rolled bat is no different than a well used bat, it is not inherently more dangerous than any other bat, and there is no way to tell if it has been rolled. Yet it is illegal in every association and if you get caught you may be banned for life. Why am I not surprised.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
So if I understand correctly a rolled bat is no different than a well used bat, it is not inherently more dangerous than any other bat, and there is no way to tell if it has been rolled. Yet it is illegal in every association and if you get caught you may be banned for life. Why am I not surprised.

The whole jist of the illegal is because you are using an un-natural breaking in process...so deemed illegal. But so is hitting the bat on a tree or pole, hitting with a rubber mallet or whatever else you can think of. Prove any of that...haha

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When I played old lady slo pitch, a few 60 years olds were taking half hearted swings, and knocking the ball to the fence. I was like ????. I didn't play their long.

Their bats were probably shaved.

Mar 22, 2013
Sunny SC
Can someone explain the difference between rolling and shaving a bat? Guessing shaving is like poping off the end cap, and "boring" the inside, like an engine cylinder?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarie1234