Bat rolling??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
If some one gets caught using an altered bat I think they deserve all the punishment they get.

They sure do. DD just recently had her second concussion from taking a foul tip to her catcher's facemask/helmet. If I were to find out that one of those bats had been rolled--putting my DD's and all the other girls' futures at risk to gain some tiny perceived advantage at the plate, other parents would probably have to hold me back. The game's dangerous enough as it is.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
They sure do. DD just recently had her second concussion from taking a foul tip to her catcher's facemask/helmet. If I were to find out that one of those bats had been rolled--putting my DD's and all the other girls' futures at risk to gain some tiny perceived advantage at the plate, other parents would probably have to hold me back. The game's dangerous enough as it is.

Given the scenario described, a foul tip to the catchers mask the use of a rolled bat is inconsequential.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
If some one gets caught using an altered bat I think they deserve all the punishment they get.

If that bat is physically altered beyond it's intended weight ( + or - ), load ( end cap ), I totally agree.

Altered is vague, especially if your simply breaking up fibers that will occur hitting the bat on a tree, with a mallet, with balls, or rolling.

Once you take the wrapper off that bat, hit the first pitched ball, it's "basically" altered from its showroom condition. 50 hits it is altered more, 100 hits even more, 300 hits even more, etc.

Once again I'm NOT condoning it, I just want those to understand that rolling only accelerates a bats potential, it doesn't do ANYTHING that 400 hits ( done correctly ) wont have the same outcome.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA

Rolled bat has nothing to do with a foul tip being dangerous.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Once again I'm NOT condoning it, I just want those to understand that rolling only accelerates a bats potential, it doesn't do ANYTHING that 400 hits ( done correctly ) wont have the same outcome.

So, when you roll a bat and hear the bat cracking, is that the same as a ball hitting 400 times?

Mar 26, 2013
Too bad we can't get bats for the same cost as colas. It would be interesting to do the challenge. However, I won't go with your 9-1 odds. If you're so sure of your ability to break in a bat, you should be willing to go with a 1-1 challenge.

May 10, 2013
USA
I've been offered to roll the last two bats (CF5, Miken Triad) I bought for $29. I told them no thanks, my daughter and I hit 100+ balls a night when the weather is good. I think rolling a bat is the lazy way out.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Too bad we can't get bats for the same cost as colas. It would be interesting to do the challenge. However, I won't go with your 9-1 odds. If you're so sure of your ability to break in a bat, you should be willing to go with a 1-1 challenge.

The thing is, you ( meaning anyone ) couldn't tell the difference in a seasoned bat and a rolled bat. 1-1 wouldn't work because you'd have a 50% chance of guessing the rolled bat, even though it would be indistinguishable. The 10 bat sample pool would eliminate the guess work and give better statistical analysis.

But, until one of hits the lotto, we will just have to wait on the challenge. :)

Mar 26, 2013
The thing is, you ( meaning anyone ) couldn't tell the difference in a seasoned bat and a rolled bat. 1-1 wouldn't work because you'd have a 50% chance of guessing the rolled bat, even though it would be indistinguishable. The 10 bat sample pool would eliminate the guess work and give better statistical analysis.
OTOH, I'm not going to give you 9 chances to break in a bat indistinguishable from the rolled bat. The guess factor can be removed by having many people take the challenge and see if a significant majority of them can pick out the rolled bat.

A true test of the bats would be in a lab where the performance of the bats could be measured with hits over the entire barrel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarie1234