Bat rolling??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Almost all of my DD's bats get rolled...

...around in the back of my SUV. The noise drives me crazy. I really wish she'd put them back in her bag every time.

Jun 11, 2013
It's pretty simple, don't buy them. It's illegal. Even if it doesn't help, there will be a day that your DD hits a line drive off that hits the pitcher. You will feel bad enough that it happened, but think of how you will feel if it happens with something that's illegal. I know some parents who would buy one to help, but from what I read on this site, most of the posters here won't.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Disclaimer: My DD never used a rolled bat, she always used Rocketechs.

It's already been mentioned, but the advances rolling did for bats 10+ years ago are minimal to non-existent now. Rolling simply speeds up the pop, which doesn't take much to get today's bats seasoned by design and limitations.

Let's say you've done the right way, broke your bat in by hits ( acknowledging you know what you're doing ), got that sucker primed. A week before Nationals, high school playoffs, college playoffs, someone steals your bat. Rolling a brand new bat will not do anything or add anything vs the primed bat you broke in by hits. It only makes it equal.

Since we know rolling ( and only if it's done correctly ) will not advance performance beyond hit "breaking in", it won't make it anymore dangerous than Susan's stick with 300 good hits, let's compare it to the glove.

Sally has sat on the couch with her glove for hours bending, throwing balls in the pocket, stretching the fibers. After 6 months that glove is as soft as a fur coat and the deep pockets of a congressman. That glove gets stolen before Nationals, high school playoffs, college playoffs. Should she be allowed to buy a new glove, use a "glove oven" to make that glove as "hot" as her old one?

Before anyone gets crazy about safety, rolling ONLY gets a bat to 100%, nothing more nothing less. So we can use accelerated methods of "break in" for certain equipment, but not others?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Disclaimer: My DD never used a rolled bat, she always used Rocketechs.

It's already been mentioned, but the advances rolling did for bats 10+ years ago are minimal to non-existent now. Rolling simply speeds up the pop, which doesn't take much to get today's bats seasoned by design and limitations.

Let's say you've done the right way, broke your bat in by hits ( acknowledging you know what you're doing ), got that sucker primed. A week before Nationals, high school playoffs, college playoffs, someone steals your bat. Rolling a brand new bat will not do anything or add anything vs the primed bat you broke in by hits. It only makes it equal.

Since we know rolling ( and only if it's done correctly ) will not advance performance beyond hit "breaking in", it won't make it anymore dangerous than Susan's stick with 300 good hits, let's compare it to the glove.

Sally has sat on the couch with her glove for hours bending, throwing balls in the pocket, stretching the fibers. After 6 months that glove is as soft as a fur coat and the deep pockets of a congressman. That glove gets stolen before Nationals, high school playoffs, college playoffs. Should she be allowed to buy a new glove, use a "glove oven" to make that glove as "hot" as her old one?

Before anyone gets crazy about safety, rolling ONLY gets a bat to 100%, nothing more nothing less. So we can use accelerated methods of "break in" for certain equipment, but not others?

Yep, them's the rules. Just like you can vote and join our country's armed services three years earlier than you are considered responsible enough to drink alcohol in many states.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Friend came back home on leave and had to get his mom to purchase a .45 for him because he was not "old enough". He and the .45 came back after 2 tours in SE Asia. Makes no sense but them's the rules.

Mar 31, 2014
Look for cracking on the barrel. On an old bat that has seen 400+ hits it is common and no way of really telling. If the bat is new and there are cracks(not just one or 2, but over the entire barrel) good chance it was rolled.

And what about microwaving the balls? haha

Microwaving will just melt the core and make it brittle but keeping them ice cold is another story all together.

Mar 26, 2013

Since we know rolling ( and only if it's done correctly ) will not advance performance beyond hit "breaking in", it won't make it anymore dangerous than Susan's stick with 300 good hits, ...
How do we know that? Good bat rollers are very precise about the amount of pressure they apply to achieve maximum performance and they do it very uniformly. I don't see how anyone could be as accurate by hitting balls.

A hitter's performance is more than how far they can occasionally hit the ball - it's also how consistent they are getting strong hits. I'd say a rolled bat also provides more consistent performance which aids the hitter.

Mar 26, 2013
IMHO - The great hitter with an old alloy bat is far and away more dangerous than the average player with a juiced composite.
Ah, it's not the sword - it's the swordsman. Smells like a red herring to me...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarie1234