Bat rolling??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
When you roll the bat the entire barrel will be evenly broke in(if done correctly). If done by hitting alone you will have dead spots on the bat. And if it is a 2 piece bat the here could be wiggle in the grommet which adds more pop but the life of the bat has been shortened. When the Stealths first came out my dd was in 12u. Rolling them(and any other composite bat) was a fairly common practice and not illegal. At the time there were very few people in the country that did it correctly. We shipped ours to Pennsylvania to have them rolled. Some dads/coaches would sit in the dugout tapping the barrel on the fence post, tapping and rotating. Even heard of some driving over the barrel to get them broke in. FYI for newbies, do not roll you Rocket Tech or you will have a square bat. lol

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2012
How exactly do you determine if a bat has been rolled? What is the testing process?

Look for cracking on the barrel. On an old bat that has seen 400+ hits it is common and no way of really telling. If the bat is new and there are cracks(not just one or 2, but over the entire barrel) good chance it was rolled.

And what about microwaving the balls? haha

May 17, 2012
There is no testing procedure - "rolling" was designed to accelerate the break in period - it essentially had the same effect as hitting 500+ balls, so how can someone determine if the bat was rolled or just well used? Shaving a bat is a different story and people should not confuse the two.

Because rolling the bat is NOT the same as accelerating the break in period. This is one of those myths that just won't die.

Dec 7, 2011
If the organizations would/could just get all the umps a calibrated "bat-thumper-tool" (what I call the tool they use to qualify and place a sticker on your bat for staying under the maximum bounciness threshold) then all this nonsense about bat-rolling or bat-shaving would just go away. Even in this ideal world though I could foresee a bat-rolling service that might be good for those who want to break their new bats in faster - but potentially shorten the overall life - MAYBE.

One could scientfically investigate IF rolling actually shortened the life of the bat dramatically or not as I might think that rolling, given its equal pressure all along the axis of the bat would not be as overall destructive as just taking the equivalent amount of ball-hits to get the same level of overall bounciness on a bat.

Jul 26, 2010
It's what rednecks did to old bats. Doing it on today's bats is like putting traction bars on a Ferrari. Unless you have a formidable mullet, do not try at home.

It is illegal, and if little Sally needs a hot bat to hit a ball over a 200 foot fence, I suggest soccer.

-W

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
If the organizations would/could just get all the umps a calibrated "bat-thumper-tool" (what I call the tool they use to qualify and place a sticker on your bat for staying under the maximum bounciness threshold) then all this nonsense about bat-rolling or bat-shaving would just go away. Even in this ideal world though I could foresee a bat-rolling service that might be good for those who want to break their new bats in faster - but potentially shorten the overall life - MAYBE.

One could scientfically investigate IF rolling actually shortened the life of the bat dramatically or not as I might think that rolling, given its equal pressure all along the axis of the bat would not be as overall destructive as just taking the equivalent amount of ball-hits to get the same level of overall bounciness on a bat.

You can still roll and be fine on compression tests

Rolling indeed shortens life of a bat.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
It's what rednecks did to old bats. Doing it on today's bats is like putting traction bars on a Ferrari. Unless you have a formidable mullet, do not try at home.

It is illegal, and if little Sally needs a hot bat to hit a ball over a 200 foot fence, I suggest soccer.

-W

New bats are constructed not to take well to rolling

Dec 20, 2012

-W

That's a pretty ignorant statement. It's what ALMOST every competitive team was doing in the early to mid 00's. Synergies, Mikens, Louisvilles, ..... were all being rolled by slow pitch, FP, rec, competitive teams. If you put a truth serum in them I bet the National Teams FP and SP would say their bats were rolled and shaven. And having a rolled bat was a huge selling point on Ebay back in the day, 32/22 Stealth SSR3B, Already rolled $349..... But those days are gone and like previously said, no need to roll todays composite bats. As for little Sally, almost all major composite bats are hotter than need be. Little Sally at 5'1 100 lbs is stilling hitting dingers way more often than she should. Beside there are way to many blows to the head in soccer for Sally, she would need a helmet and face mask to play. lol

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
And the best part is...people sent bats out to be rolled and some people were screwing them over and never rolling them. So they would get the same bat back and these morons would act like their bat was some masher...haha. Good for them.
Same as ebay...advertise as rolled and nothing was ever done. Quick way to make more money on the same bat without doing anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarie1234