Bat recommendations for 10 y/o travel player?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 2, 2021
I’m in the same boat as you Coco. Im also from Massachusetts and my soon to be 9 y/o is just starting her first year of 10u travel ball. She’s been swinging a Mizuno aluminum bat for the past year but seems to be ready for something a little better. I’ve looked at a lot of 1 and 2 piece composite bats and at her age I can’t justify spending $350-$400 on something like a Ghost or Prizm.

She took some swings with several of the new 2022 youth composite bats (Demarini Spryte, Mizuno CRBN1, Easton Firefly) and a new Ghost just for fun. Out of everything she’s swung she’s liked the feel of the Spryte the most.

We’ve seen the new Louisville Slugger Nexus online and she’s been dying to swing it but I can’t find it in store anywhere. I can’t find a ton of reviews on any of these bats but from what I have read it seems like the Nexus might be the top pick in the $200-$250 range.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? Any reps input would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My daughter swung a Demarini CF Zen 30/11 for two seasons while while 9/10. The bat was light and balanced enough to develop good swing mechanics but had enough pop to satisfy. It was purchased at a discount ($200 CDN) as they just released their new bat lineup. For two full seasons as well as indoor bp in the winter it had no durability issues. Buying new you get the comfort of a warranty and the ability to get some money back on resale when she moves up in size. Warning this may lead to addiction. Like you I could not image dropping big dollars on the latest and greatest but I just ordered a LS Meta X as a Christmas gift...

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD has had both new and used bats, she does not seem to care. Give me a bat! Some have failed because they were to big for her, not the bat, my bad not hers.

Her favorite bat bought used on here. CF6.

Oct 4, 2018
My 10-year old was having a hard time making good hard contact consistently on her 12U fall travel team the last few weeks. Today her coach had her use a teammate’s Ghost Advanced and she was instantly hitting everything much harder and further. The bat she had been using was nothing special — something we picked up at Dick’s a few years ago for like $50-$60.

So we’re in the market for a new bat or two — one of which I’m thinking should be a composite. While she had great swings with the Ghost today, everything I’m reading suggests it’s a risky headache. My question: should we go for the Ghost anyway? If not, what are good quality, durable alternatives for a youth player? I’m thinking we get one bat for games and one for practice/BP/backup. What should they be? Ideally I’d want them to last from this fall through winter indoor training and next spring/summer.

She needs a 30/19 (-11). I would describe her as a contact hitter without much power yet due to age/size. We live in Massachusetts, so temperature is also a (small, but manageable) consideration.

Get the Ghost.

If it breaks, get the warranty replacement. If it breaks again, try to get the warranty replacement. If not, buy her another Ghost.

She tried it, she loves it. Nothing else will suffice. Welcome to travel softball. :p

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Everybody forgets a Power Carbon. Same weight feel as a Demar, barrel sizes are close.
Performance is just as good...and price is a no brainer compared to other brands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad