Backup bat for people using an Easton Ghost?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
We always have had a Xeno as a back-up for cold weather (in the 30’s), cold balls and pitching machine balls. I use DFP’s bat database and go find what size/year Xeno most closely replicates the actual weight of whatever size/year Ghost she has. Then go on eBay and find it used. When DD went to a 33/23 GA, I found a nearly (after cleaning) brand new Xeno for $75. DD said swing weight felt almost identical. Barrel feel of course will be different, but DD doesn’t care when it’s in practice.

Generally the Xeno gets used for cold games (low 30’s), cold cage/practice balls, and pitching machine. Otherwise, DD used her GA for everything else.

Her previous Advanced finally started to show some beginning of shark tooth cracking near the inside of the barrel (mis hits!), so it moved to games only….as I’m dumb and lost the receipt.

Now that she’s moved up to a 34/26, finding a used backup for a cheap price was difficult. Lots of 31, 32, & 33 drop 10’s laying around. Not so many 34 -8’s…. But I eventually found something.
I have heard the Xeno was better for colder weather.

Sep 8, 2021
We always have had a Xeno as a back-up for cold weather (in the 30’s), cold balls and pitching machine balls. I use DFP’s bat database and go find what size/year Xeno most closely replicates the actual weight of whatever size/year Ghost she has. Then go on eBay and find it used. When DD went to a 33/23 GA, I found a nearly (after cleaning) brand new Xeno for $75. DD said swing weight felt almost identical. Barrel feel of course will be different, but DD doesn’t care when it’s in practice.

Generally the Xeno gets used for cold games (low 30’s), cold cage/practice balls, and pitching machine. Otherwise, DD used her GA for everything else.

Her previous Advanced finally started to show some beginning of shark tooth cracking near the inside of the barrel (mis hits!), so it moved to games only….as I’m dumb and lost the receipt.

Now that she’s moved up to a 34/26, finding a used backup for a cheap price was difficult. Lots of 31, 32, & 33 drop 10’s laying around. Not so many 34 -8’s…. But I eventually found something.
Same for us.

Daughter changed from -10 Ghost Advanced in Aug to -9 Ghost unlimited.. The bat made it through 41 games and got a deep crack in the last game in scenic city. Got a -9 xeno as a backup, and she likes it better.

Mar 27, 2019
We have 2 Ghost advanced (33-22), a CF and a Suncoast Backlash(33-23). Right now the Advanced is the Backup to the Suncoast with the CF sitting around with not many swings.

Dec 19, 2021
DD1: the GA is the backup. She has had two. They last her about 4-6 months before they wont pass inspection. LXT is the gamer. She switched at PGF last year since the GA was already cracking and just decided not to go back to it. The year prior she played the whole fall with a GA that had ever growing shark teeth and linear cracks until in Dec it was at the point where you could tell in games when the ball hit a dead spot.

DD2: Just acquired a used DSG 32", so the 31" 2016 Xeno that she played the last 2 years and DD1 used for two years before that is in the bag as the backup. Good bat.

Oct 4, 2018
It's just such a tank I have zero concern about it breaking. DD had a 2015 Xeno as her prior back-up and it was as hot as anything she's hit with. I almost prefer finding the old ones for her as the previous owners have done all the break in but they have tons of life left - haha.

Crazy. My DD has never broken a Ghost (and it's her main bat) but has broken a Xeno.

It's our main back-up bat too. Perhaps that's why it broke.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Crazy. My DD has never broken a Ghost (and it's her main bat) but has broken a Xeno.

It's our main back-up bat too. Perhaps that's why it broke.

Interesting. Each situation is different for sure.

DD uses her GA 75%+ of the time. We don’t necessarily baby it. Unless it’s really cold out, she’s facing a pitching machine, or the balls are cold….she uses the GA. The Xeno sees action in the other scenarios. It’s been a good balance thus far.

And at the prices I’ve been able to find the used Xeno’s at, I really don’t care if they do break.

May 13, 2021
Interesting. Each situation is different for sure.

DD uses her GA 75%+ of the time. We don’t necessarily baby it. Unless it’s really cold out, she’s facing a pitching machine, or the balls are cold….she uses the GA. The Xeno sees action in the other scenarios. It’s been a good balance thus far.

And at the prices I’ve been able to find the used Xeno’s at, I really don’t care if they do break.
What year Xeno’s are you using.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478