Base on balls rounding first

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2013
Agreed. No real benefit here. You'll usually end up with the majority of people thinking she should be out.

OF COURSE there is a benefit. Has everyone forgotten that there could be another runner on base? No one has ever tried to have a batter-runner round 1st and advance to 2nd base or get in a run down?

Mar 2, 2013
My $0.02.....I would not recommend rounding the 1B bag after a walk if the pitcher has the ball in the circle. There is little to no benefit in pushing the issue with umpires.

Are there any other plays that you will give up because you think that the umpire may make an incorrect ruling?

Apr 6, 2014
She rounded because ball four was a wild pitch and it went behind the catcher and she did not know it had been thrown back to the pitcher until she had rounded and looked. The first base coach was also a fill in who was not talking to the girls. I believe the pitcher received the ball right before she hit first.

I don't think she will ever do it again. I just want to know the exact rule to explain it to her.

Thanks.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Are there any other plays that you will give up because you think that the umpire may make an incorrect ruling?

Rounding first and continuing to second is a "play", rounding first and returning to 1B is not a play in my book, and until all of your fellow umpires decide to all agree on the rule interpretation, I do not think it is worth the risk of rounding 1B after a walk. If the walk is also a past ball, I would imagine most umpires would give the base runner the benefit of doubt, but on a straight walk with the ball back in the circle, it is not worth the risk IMHO.

Mar 2, 2013
Rounding first and continuing to second is a "play", rounding first and returning to 1B is not a play in my book, and until all of your fellow umpires decide to all agree on the rule interpretation, I do not think it is worth the risk of rounding 1B after a walk. If the walk is also a past ball, I would imagine most umpires would give the base runner the benefit of doubt, but on a straight walk with the ball back in the circle, it is not worth the risk IMHO.

Absurd... :rolleyes:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Rounding first and continuing to second is a "play", rounding first and returning to 1B is not a play in my book,

Well, we aren't talking about "your book" are we.....and neither of those qualify under the definition of a play

and until all of your fellow umpires decide to all agree on the rule interpretation, I do not think it is worth the risk of rounding 1B after a walk. If the walk is also a past ball, I would imagine most umpires would give the base runner the benefit of doubt, but on a straight walk with the ball back in the circle, it is not worth the risk IMHO.

We know the rule and the interpretation. It is the coaches and parents who insist on making it something it isn't and end up talking weaker umpires into making a ruling on a rule that does not exist.

Apr 6, 2014
We know the rule and the interpretation. It is the coaches and parents who insist on making it something it isn't and end up talking weaker umpires into making a ruling on a rule that does not exist.

See this is my problem. I swear the rules of baseball are so much simpler. It seems like every tournament there is something new that I have never heard before. Is it a rule or not a rule? We have been very fortunate to have very good umpires who make decisive and loud calls. Even when the opposing coach argued the umpires put an end to the questioning very quickly with a simple, clear, and loud explanation.

Jun 24, 2013
We have this Issue a little bit. The non-existent must slide rule causes me a lot of problems. If you are having an Issue with a specific interpretation of a rule try to discuss it before the game. I do not care what the rules are; I just would like to know them before we start the game.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma