Base on balls rounding first

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 6, 2014
First of all I have looked all over and read multiple answers. Ball number 4 is a wild pitch. Batter hustles to first and rounds the base, sees the ball is with the pitcher in the circle, and returns to the bag. She never stopped or hesitated. In fact she only took a step or two off first and ran right back. Opposing coach said she should be out because if you round first on a walk she has committed to second therefore when she returned to first she is out. Both umpires said she rounded and went back to first and never stopped so what she did was legal under the look back rule and called her safe.

What is the rule for rounding first on a walk?

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
She may round first. She is allowed to stop ONCE and IMMEDIATELY return to first or continue to second.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
So a walk is no different than a hit ball? The coaches argued on a walk you can not round without going to second.

Walk, Hit, Drop 3rd, makes no difference...."if the pitcher has control of the ball within 8 feet of the pitcher's plate."

Jun 22, 2008
As has been indicated in other posts, a batter who has walked has the same rights under the lookback rule as if they had batted the ball. They may round the base, stop, and either immediately return or continue to advance to the next base.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My $0.02.....I would not recommend rounding the 1B bag after a walk if the pitcher has the ball in the circle. There is little to no benefit in pushing the issue with umpires.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My $0.02.....I would not recommend rounding the 1B bag after a walk if the pitcher has the ball in the circle. There is little to no benefit in pushing the issue with umpires.
Agreed. No real benefit here. You'll usually end up with the majority of people thinking she should be out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma