Two Runners on a Base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I'm guessing that the rules vary by organization but I don't have any idea what they are in general. I'm watching an NCAA game and the runner between 2nd and 3rd gets caught in a rundown. She gets chased to 3rd where there is already a runner, for a second both are on the base and the lead runner gets tagged, then the trail runner breaks back toward second but is way out of the base line and gets called out. When two runners occupy the same base what are the rules?

Jul 22, 2015
The runner who legally occupies the base (hasn't advanced to the next base) is safe and the other runner must be tagged out.

Jun 22, 2008
It's pretty much the same in any ruleset. The runner first occupying the base is the runner entitled to it unless it is a force play.

In you description if the lead runner is entitled to the base and tagging her is nothing, they would need to tag the trail runner. The baseline has nothing to do with running rules. A runner sets their own base path and would be out of they deviated more than 3' either side of that path at the time the defense attempted to make a play on them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles