barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Hmm, a topspin forehand is tennis is nothing at all similar to a baseball swing that coming from "behind" the ball. It does however come from the top "down to" the tennis ball at the player tries to turn the racket over the top of the ball to put the topspin on the ball to spin down into the ground on the other side of the net quicker.

Actually, an actual swing "down to" the ball path has shown to cause not only more GBs, but also slicing too much of the back of the ball creating too much back spin and producing more pop ups.

No argument that MLB hitters talk about "hitting the top half of the ball", and if a hitter has the right mechanics, and correct barrel path to the ball that all MLB have, than that's not a problem. But if a developing hitter doesn't have the correct path, and tries to learn how to swing with the "down to", "hit the top half of the ball" mindset....they'll do just that, swing "down to" the hit the top half of the ball, and pound it into the dirt, or at best catches a LD with topspin that short hops an infielder at his feet, and scoots by him.

Disagree top spin is the result of a looping swing which could be caused by trying to swing up on the ball, or the top hand rolls over during contact.

Disagree on pounding into the dirt unless your attempting to do this !!!

kpp0IQf.gif

Or abaf matching tewks where the down to is steep

QIHL4l1.gif

Add in the correct leveraged hitting position and the barrel levels off during the down to.

k4xI3PF.gif

XHSjeFP.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Also Mud, what would be your response to a hitter whose focus was on "get behind the ball" but continues to swing and miss or have inconsistent contact ?

Apr 11, 2015
Disagree top spin is the result of a looping swing which could be caused by trying to swing up on the ball.
Only if the "swing up" was from a barrel starting around the hitter's knees or lower, which I've never seen any hitter at any level attempt. Now if you said excessive "backspin" from a "swing up" path, then I'd certainly agree with you.

Disagree on pounding into the dirt unless your attempting to do this !!
Yet there's coaches out there teaching/coaching kids to attempt exactly that as "practice", and none of these kids have a Bonds, Yelich, Arod, Pujols, or any other MLB hitter's swing who might be promoting it. Yes, maybe as a hitter's mindset at the plate IF the hitter already has the proper swing mechanics. But as a way or cue in teaching a developing hitter the correct barrel path or swing...not so much.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
Also Mud, what would be your response to a hitter whose focus was on "get behind the ball" but continues to swing and miss or have inconsistent contact ?
We'd look at video to see where or why s/he's missing or having inconsistent contact. Is it that their barrel path is incorrect? Is their path correct, but they're early or late on the ball? Or is it something else altogether?

Same question to you if they say that they..."feel" that they're swinging "down to" the ball, "but continue to swing and miss or have inconsistent contact?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Only if the "swing up" was from a barrel starting around the hitter's knees or lower, which I've never seen any hitter at any level attempt. Now if you said excessive "backspin" from a "swing up" path, then I'd certainly agree with you.

Yet there's coach out there teaching/coaching kids to attempt exactly that as "practice", and none of these kids have a Bonds, Yelich, Arod, Pujols, or any other MLB hitter's swing who might be promoting it. Yes, maybe as a hitter's mindset at the plate IF the hitter already has the proper swing mechanics. But as a way or cue in teaching a developing hitter the correct barrel path or swing...not so much.

Mud, I am guessing if you ever attempted the down to that all these guys speak of your swing was similar to Tewks is that correct ?

QIHL4l1.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
We'd look at video to see where or why s/he's missing or having inconsistent contact. Is it that their barrel path is incorrect? Is their path correct, but they're early or late on the ball? Or is it something else altogether?

So its mid game and no video what then ?

Apr 11, 2015
Mud, I am guessing if you ever attempted the down to that all these guys speak of your swing was similar to Tewks is that correct ?

QIHL4l1.gif
Sure, if that's what Tewks is really trying to do there. But his barrel path is incorrect going "down to" the ball, and the result I'd expect from someone with that path...myself included if that was what I was trying to do.

May 12, 2016
Yes, and that's why I don't teach "an upward (or downward) barrel path".
The angle upward does not have to be so great as you think. In baseball, the bat surface is also curved, unlike a Tennis racket. That's why Tennis players angle a racket to help produce the spin they need. It doesn't take much, a slight upward spin will produce much more topspin then slight downward path.

Regardless.. you promote matching the plane of the pitch.. correct? "To and through" or "To and up through"?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atilbury