Asking for help on check swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
If a catcher asks umpire for help on a check swing is the umpire required to get the help or he can say "I don't need help move on".

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
The only ruleset that I'm aware of that requires an umpire to go for help on a checked swing if requested is NCAA.

ASA and NFHS do not require the umpire to comply with the request, I'm pretty sure that is the same in USSSA and the other alphabet soup organizations.

For me personally, when I am a PU, I will always go for help on a check swing if asked. I choose not to turn that simple request into a power struggle.

Jun 22, 2008
But what if it is?

I may have related this story before to Ajay. He knows the umpire and coach. Watching my daughter play juco ball, pitch comes in and batter barely flinches, bat never leaves shoulder. Coach comes out wanting ump to go for help. Umpire slowly steps out from behind catcher, slowly removes his mask, points to his partner and yells. "Partner, was that pathetic excuse of an attempt a swing?"

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I may have related this story before to Ajay. He knows the umpire and coach. Watching my daughter play juco ball, pitch comes in and batter barely flinches, bat never leaves shoulder. Coach comes out wanting ump to go for help. Umpire slowly steps out from behind catcher, slowly removes his mask, points to his partner and yells. "Partner, was that pathetic excuse of an attempt a swing?"

No, you haven't told me that story.....

I am 100% certain who the coach is, but I can think of more than a few guys on the Staff that would do something like that...especially with that coach......

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

That's pretty funny at face value, but I don't see how embarrassing the batter makes the defensive team's coach look like the fool that he probably is? Better for the ump to tell him that he didn't think it was a swing in his judgement, ask the coach if he thought it was a swing, and then run him for questioning the ump's judgement.

Jun 22, 2008
That's pretty funny at face value, but I don't see how embarrassing the batter makes the defensive team's coach look like the fool that he probably is? Better for the ump to tell him that he didn't think it was a swing in his judgement, ask the coach if he thought it was a swing, and then run him for questioning the ump's judgement.

I dont think anyone took it as an insult to the batter, including the batter as it was completely obvious she did not make any attempt at the ball. The comment was directed specifically at the coach who is known for questioning obvious calls and arguing just for the sake of arguing. He was making it clear the only person in the entire complex who even had a question about it was the coach.

My response was to MTR's comment about what if the coach is trying to make the request for a check swing a power struggle. This coach is known for going after umpires and was pushing the issue with the request for a check swing. This was the umpires way of responding and putting the coach back in his place.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
My response was to MTR's comment about what if the coach is trying to make the request for a check swing a power struggle. This coach is known for going after umpires and was pushing the issue with the request for a check swing. This was the umpires way of responding and putting the coach back in his place.

While I can appreciate what this umpire did, I'd just rather not go for help for the sake of going. Yeah, if there is even a remote chance I missed something, absolutely check with my partner. If I have no doubt I didn't miss anything, I'm not going just to appease the coach.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves