Umpire Missed Call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
Well if it
Don't worry, there will be many more crazy calls to keep DFP going. From 8u ball to MLB.

An interesting game last fall had one of those "quiet" umps. 12u softball. Other team batter was trying to bunt. Pitch one missed bunt, pitch two missed bunt, pitch 3 swing and a miss. Ump signals 0-1 count. At bat continues without any coaches or score keepers getting the count corrected. Thats PU, FU, Coach A, Coach B, both assistants and both teams paper score keeper and game changer operator. 9 people stayed quiet.

Batter got 7 pitches for a count of 2-5.
Well if it was USA rules, the batter doesn't have to pull the bat back, as long as she doesn't move it forward to bunt, then it's not a bunt. Although not sure why it would be a 0-1 count after 3 pitches........

Jul 27, 2021
Well if it was USA rules, the batter doesn't have to pull the bat back, as long as she doesn't move it forward to bunt, then it's not a bunt. Although not sure why it would be a 0-1 count after 3 pitches........
Good points.

I do not remember if the pitched ball was in the strike zone yet significantly lean toward "within the strike zone".

The use of particular rule book always part of a rule conversation. USA Softball on bunting is very nuanced. So many things have to align to call a pitch a ball if the bat is in the strike-zone. Timing of the batter set up v pitcher action & pitch matters. USA SB says "did the batter move the bat toward
the pitched ball". That is up , down, in, out, forward.....

May 29, 2015
Well if it

I hate that rule.
hate-angry.gif

HATE.

let-the-hate-flow-through-you-sidious.gif

H-A-T-E.

hate-anger.gif

H-A-T-E.

emperor-palpatine.gif

No, I will STRIKE YOU OUT with all my hatred!

H-A-T-E.

hehehe-star-wars.gif

If it wasn't an attempt to strike the ball, then why was the bat out there? What's that, coach? She was just trying to interfere with the catcher? OK, I have a different call for you then ...

May 27, 2022
Fixed it for you.

I wondered if the umpires were going to say it wasn't actually a swing since it wasn't an attempt to strike at the ball. I've never seen it either, but I have people argue that theoretical.

if it isn’t a strike at the ball, then wouldn’t it be interference (if the runner tried to steal)?

May 29, 2015
if it isn’t a strike at the ball, then wouldn’t it be interference (if the runner tried to steal)?

That's my stance. No other reason in the world for the bat to be out there than those two things.

Coaches generally don't like option #2.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Fixed it for you.

I wondered if the umpires were going to say it wasn't actually a swing since it wasn't an attempt to strike at the ball. I've never seen it either, but I have people argue that theoretical.

What would you call in a situation on a 3-0 count where a batter "swings" at an obvious ball four (in the dirt, behind the batter, something absurd) just to get the strike to maybe get a chance to hit the next one?

May 29, 2015
Yes, of course it should be, but I was just responding to TMIB's idea about a batter not actually striking at the ball.

Did the ball go by? Did the bat go out? Sounds like an effort to strike at the ball to me.

Just in case you have me on the wrong side of that, I said I HATE* the USA rule saying the bat has to move at it. If the bat left the shoulder and went in the general direction of the ball as it went by ... STEEEE-RRRRIIIIKE!!!!!!

*For photo reference, see my post further above.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12