Asking for help on check swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
The only ruleset that I'm aware of that requires an umpire to go for help on a checked swing if requested is NCAA.

ASA and NFHS do not require the umpire to comply with the request, I'm pretty sure that is the same in USSSA and the other alphabet soup organizations.
While ASA does not require the umpire to comply with the request, ASA R/S #10 (Check Swing/Bunt Strike) addresses it this way...
"If the umpire calls the pitch a ball and the catcher requests that the umpire go for help, the plate umpire should ONLY ask for help if there is doubt in their mind as wether or not the batter swung at the pitched ball."

NCAA 11.13.5 states that the PU must must ask for help if asked by the catcher. The PU may, but not shall ask for help if asked by anyone else on either offense or defense.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
NCAA 11.13.5 states that the PU must must ask for help if asked by the catcher. The PU may, but not shall ask for help if asked by anyone else on either offense or defense.

But my question still stands, which umpire do you ask?

Mar 13, 2010

Three umpire system for NCAA, when PU is asks for help on a checked swing:
U1 on right-handed batters when U1 is on the line.
U2 on left-handed batters when U3 is on the line.
U1 on either right handed or left handed batters when U3 is NOT on the line.
U3 on either left handed or right handed batters when U1 is NOT on the line.

MTR, you'll have to help me out on the proper ASA mechanic. Not having worked any three umpire ASA FP games (and not finding anything in my rule book), I'm at a lost.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Three umpire system for NCAA, when PU is asks for help on a checked swing:
U1 on right-handed batters when U1 is on the line.
U2 on left-handed batters when U3 is on the line.
U1 on either right handed or left handed batters when U3 is NOT on the line.
U3 on either left handed or right handed batters when U1 is NOT on the line.

MTR, you'll have to help me out on the proper ASA mechanic. Not having worked any three umpire ASA FP games (and not finding anything in my rule book), I'm at a lost.

Then we are on par as I am at a loss trying to understand why any mechanic would suggest going to the umpire most likely to have the least advantageous view.

As I have been taught since I started in '66, if there is an option, always go the the partner the batter is facing.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
here is another question on this point. Did the catcher actually ask, or did she just point her glove down to the BU and expect that to be enough?

Jul 28, 2008
Then we are on par as I am at a loss trying to understand why any mechanic would suggest going to the umpire most likely to have the least advantageous view.

As I have been taught since I started in '66, if there is an option, always go the the partner the batter is facing.

What do you do with 2-man mechanics with a lefty up an nobody on? Or a righty with a runner on 2nd when the BU is in C position? Do you go to the BU when asked and turn the call over to the one out of position to make such a call?

I ask, because I do see PU ask their partners during tournaments and I scratch my head. I have not seen them change the PU's call, though. I wonder if they ask only to appease the coach.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
MTR said:

Since we work our JUCO league with only two umpires, you ask the base umpire.

shockcoach said:
What do you do with 2-man mechanics with a lefty up an nobody on? Or a righty with a runner on 2nd when the BU is in C position? Do you go to the BU when asked and turn the call over to the one out of position to make such a call?

I ask, because I do see PU ask their partners during tournaments and I scratch my head. I have not seen them change the PU's call, though. I wonder if they ask only to appease the coach.

If the PU has doubt, you ask your partner no matter where on the field s/he is. All the BU can do is call what s/he sees.

Jun 22, 2010
I remember reading of a study - and yes, this was baseball, not softball - that showed that the field umpire's accuracy in ruling on a half-swing was not affected by position on the field.

I asked whenever I was requested, unless and until it got ridiculous (which it never did, in my experience). Why would I give up a chance at another strike? ;)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

It would be the same criteria, but you have to work with what is available. In my experience, when not in a good position as you suggest, the BU isn't going to call it a swing unless s/he is sure of it. And maybe the PU did miss something, but a decent umpire will not guess on this one.

However, the reference was to the 3-umpire mechanic where the NCAA wants the BU to ALWAYS go the the umpire on the line if one is not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283