Asa 2015 rule and code changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
A couple of interesting things within the rules for the B (select) and C All-Star programs.

1. "All players must live in the approved boundaries of the Recreational League." This could stop players from switching leagues.

2. The restrictions on outside play are quite different between B and C.
- B: "Any player that participates with any other team outside of their recreational league or B team during the rec league season forfeits their eligibility."
- C: "Any player that participates with any other team outside of the recreational league after May 31st forfeits their eligibility for All-Stars."

I have a problem with this in general. What a player is doing when she is not participating for your team is none of your business, period.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2013
These changes will be specific to Southern California. There was a proposal to establish a Class C at the National Level that was rejected by the council.

They are specific to Region 14 (Pacific Coast). Nor Cal is doing it as well. Nobody knows how it is going to work, exactly, as it is a work in progress. But the "select" or "traveling all-star teams" can form after Jan 1. All players have to play in the rec league, but I am unclear whether they have to play on actual rec ball teams in addition to this select team, or compete as a team in the rec league. If they are allowed to compete in the rec league, it is going to cause a lot of problems IMO.

And I posted that before reading all of the other posts on the topic, dumb by me. :) But the letter from Nor Cal ASA and another one I saw somewhere (Central CA?) do state all players on the B team must play in the rec league, and I'm still not sure how putting them on a select team that plays other select teams accomplishes that. We'll learn more soon.
Another huge development for Region 14 will be 8u All-stars (championship play). They haven't unveiled how that will work, I assume the same rules as other age groups but who knows. Hoping it encourages leagues to make sure talent is spread evenly at 8U level, it isn't fun watching one team put together 10 experienced, good players who win 16-0 every game. Leagues should make sure all teams have at least one good pitcher to make sure the would be all-stars go up against good competition every game. Dominating against coach-pitch doesn't tell you much about how they will do against other all-stars.

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
The medium to large sized rec leagues should be able to stave off the B travel exodus with this program. There is a lot to be said for being part of a large organization with fields, insurance, money, and a player pool of local kids. Some will scoff at the rec label, but I run a pretty decent off-season rec team that is about .500 in all travel events, and quite a bit better in U-trip. This will give the leagues a chance to shed the stigma attached to rec., and keep their kids and COACHES longer. Eventually this will raise the level of play at the younger ages, and produce kids who can actually throw a ball.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
As a 10U coach, I am glad that they will allow you to hit the full lineup. You know how hard it is to tell a girl or their parents they aren't in my best 9 hitters?

That's fine for weekend tournament or league play.

When you advance to a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, it time to play the game right.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Another huge development for Region 14 will be 8u All-stars (championship play). They haven't unveiled how that will work, I assume the same rules as other age groups but who knows. Dominating against coach-pitch doesn't tell you much about how they will do against other all-stars.

How is this different than what's in place now? 8U All-Stars has been in existence for us for at least 3 years, and includes District and State tournaments. Our 8U is hybrid coach/player pitch until the last month of the Spring season, then it's all player-pitch. As I understand it, this is how most of the ASA leagues in So Cal and Nor Cal operate.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
The medium to large sized rec leagues should be able to stave off the B travel exodus with this program. There is a lot to be said for being part of a large organization with fields, insurance, money, and a player pool of local kids. Some will scoff at the rec label, but I run a pretty decent off-season rec team that is about .500 in all travel events, and quite a bit better in U-trip. This will give the leagues a chance to shed the stigma attached to rec., and keep their kids and COACHES longer. Eventually this will raise the level of play at the younger ages, and produce kids who can actually throw a ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom