Anyone hit tennis balls for outfield drills?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Tennis balls require very soft hands since they have low mass and will bounce out of the glove very easily. If you can catch tennis balls and JUGS balls with their high spin you should be able to catch anything.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We play moon ball with tennis balls - coaches hit them high, hard and long... and the players try to catch them bare hand. Fun drill

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I used to drag my pitching machine and small quite generator to the field for practices.
I would shoot balls over the right shoulder, left shoulder. Line drives, very high balls and would give them a second ball when the first ball was 15 ft from them catching it.
So I did these 5 drills to the whole team. 2rd grade through 8th grade. I was with the girls that long.
Every girl on the team could play outfield.

Straightleg

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
We have not tried Tennis Balls yet. Sounds like a good idea. When I feel the OF'ers are in a groove and need to be challenged to use other ways to evaluate the ball we run what I call Hear No, See No, Do no. 4 rounds. Each one different. Three of the rounds challenge the player by removing one or more of their senses used in making a play on the fly ball forcing them to rely on the others they have.

1st round = On their knees facing the Batter. Must pop up, track down and catch.
[we try to hit balls lower in trajectory]
2nd round = Standing up with back turned to Batter. Hear the pop, turn & find ball, track down and catch ball
[we try to hit ball higher in trajectory but right or left of where they are standing to force them to find the ball and break to it]
3rd round = Lay down on the ground on their back. Hear the pop, jump up quick, find ball, track ball and catch ball.
[we try to hit these with more air to allow some time to get under it wherever it may be :)]
4th round = Stand up and Face Batter as if in a game. See, Hear, Evaluate Flight, track down and catch ball.
[mix it up. lower or higher trajectory. Straight up, Right or left of, etc]

By the 4th round it seems significantly easier to run down a fly ball as they are allowed to use all their abilities with no handicap.
Our girls have fun with this. This allows us to allows the batter to challenge each player to their level of skill with the hitting choices and makes it a bit of fun. We might even be known for making a little wager here or there with the girls.... Maybe even have a coach jump in on the drill from time to time for fun.

This type of work has allowed most every player on our team become adept and more comfortable at playing OF. Of course it has only been 10U & 12U age groups thus far.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gcsurfer