Outfield drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
at young ages, more fast paced reps. Hand thrown drop step catches to both sides. Include switching directions mid popup. Running man catches, basically start all the OF on the left side and have them run short 10-15yd crossing routes. Go back and forth over and over. Throw short pop ups infront of them.

You're basically trying to teach them to move aggressively, not really about the catching. Fast paced reps. The equivalent of glove skills and footwork reps for infielders that are so common to see in YouTube videos, etc.

Apr 13, 2015
lots of good drills mentioned here...can start with tennis balls, no glove on some of these then transition to real balls and glove....best practice for OF to get read is shagging hitting on the field...play everything live, including throws

Dec 11, 2010
I like the comment about moving aggressively. Players can get to way more balls than they think they can.

My DD’s beloved 10u coach would chide the parent running the fly ball station loud enough the kids could hear: “If they are catching 50% of them it’s TOO EASY!” I think he was half kidding.

Well, after more thought he probably wasn’t!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28