Anybody feel dumb when reading hitting/pitching forums?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
If one needs to be spoon fed, I agree, this is not the medium for you. If you have gotten to the point that you realize many of the hitting and pitching instructors in your area are simply regurgitating the same crap that doesn't stand up to the Hanson Principle, then the answers are here if you are willing to do the work. If someone posts a one word response like "sequence" or a phrase like "turn the barrel", the first thing I would do would be to use the search feature available and read about it and ask questions. There are so many here with differing approaches but most genuinely are posting to try and help.

Sep 18, 2011
I didn't mean to put anyone down. I actually respect the heck out of you hitting gurus. Most of my critique is self deprecating. I mean I'm basically admitting that I'm an idiot. But just taking my thread in the hitting technical section as an example. I received lots of good feedback and I appreciated it. I got some other feedback than I just didn't understand. For example, "she's wasting her separation." Or, my personal favorite, "she doesn't get the X-factor switch." Okay. And "have you been listening to FFS? If so, you shouldn't." What does that mean? And then there is the tendency for factions to bring up things that they've obviously been discussing for years, forgetting that most of us don't know what they are talking about. My thread has 91 posts. About 60 of them are back and forth sniping. Is that useful? I don't know. Anyway, like I said, I don't have a problem with any of you guys. I do appreciate your expertise. It's just that there are times... well, I've said enough. I'm out.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Today against a slower pitcher, we used the cue, think hitting to right field and it worked.
Against a fast pitcher I'll use the que think hitting the ball to left field.
There's nothing left for the Tech.hitting thread to do but.....
images

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
... The real answer is to find a succession of great hitting coaches, ...

Once you focus your energy as a parent finding these hitting coaches (they are just about everywhere). Then keep your player with that coach as long as possible, to be passed onto the next great hitting coach.

As a hitters Dad, we always played for the great hitting coaches. Never chased the big org. and it has worked out very well for us.

I'm sure this formula has worked for many, SCD. But if I had taken this approach, I don't think my DD would be hitting as well as she is today. The idea that great hitting coaches ''are just about everywhere'' is not my experience. I see a lot of mediocre hitting coaches. I never had a great hitting coach myself.

Best thing that happened to my DD's hitting was my discovery of this board and my attempt to pass along what I've studied and learned to my DD. I became her hitting coach for a couple of years. It was a turning point.

Not saying that I'm a great hitting coach, wouldn't call myself a hitting coach at all, but I've been the best one I've found for my daughter because I'm the most invested in her development. I watch every at-bat that she takes. I know her swing better than anyone.

Recently, I've decided I can't take her much further, and so she's seeing another coach. I'm hoping for the best. Thanks to this board, I am better able to pick a good coach.

As a parent, if you can find a professional hitting coach who is really good, that's great. But sometimes turning things over to the ''professionals'' is the worst thing you can do.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I don't know any tech talk guys that EVER suggest using the supper techy talk to your daughters. If some of you are the kind of dads that can't think for yourself, don't know your daughters well enough to help her understand, or are too lazy or uninterested to help her, then dump her off with your check book at some local hc. Nothing wrong with that….

Left field….arm chair quarterbacks???? I coach a TB team, a league team, play old man baseball, and young man fast pitch…besides helping several girls that don't play for me….for free. Little time to interact with your player one on one? That is what a coach is suppose to do!!! Not just show up for the game and say "Sally think hitting to right field" then take credit for it.

Once again….everyone that says "you can't talk like that to the girls and expect them to understand" DROP that argument…unless your girls are getting on the technical hitting forum.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Most didn't know what DD or IR meant. Sure you asked or read through threads/post for the answers. Just saying...

Jul 2, 2013
I'm sure this formula has worked for many, SCD. But if I had taken this approach, I don't think my DD would be hitting as well as she is today. The idea that great hitting coaches ''are just about everywhere'' is not my experience. I see a lot of mediocre hitting coaches. I never had a great hitting coach myself.

Best thing that happened to my DD's hitting was my discovery of this board and my attempt to pass along what I've studied and learned to my DD. I became her hitting coach for a couple of years. It was a turning point.

Not saying that I'm a great hitting coach, wouldn't call myself a hitting coach at all, but I've been the best one I've found for my daughter because I'm the most invested in her development. I watch every at-bat that she takes. I know her swing better than anyone.

Recently, I've decided I can't take her much further, and so she's seeing another coach. I'm hoping for the best. Thanks to this board, I am better able to pick a good coach.

As a parent, if you can find a professional hitting coach who is really good, that's great. But sometimes turning things over to the ''professionals'' is the worst thing you can do.

In Bold above is the best statement.

We grew up in baseball where the hitting aspect of the ball playing game is the primary focus. And with a female baseball player it seemed as though the great hitting coaches were coming out of the woodwork wanting to have influence in DD.

So once she changed to softball at 12 years old after baseball Major12, it was mere a matter of fine tuning what was already taught, adjusting to softball, and training the mind.

Remembering now, I probably should not have jumped in like I did. We were very fortunate for the people in her life, their abilities and training. I quickly became "just a parent". If remembering correctly, when DD was 9 years old.

We have never paid for a hitting lesson in her life. Done a bunch of cage work both privately, and now HS team Dads who go out of their way to help for free. Great people.

Parents sometimes make the mistake to think only paid hitting coaches are the best option. When right around you on every team is a dad who is a great hitting coach. Who has "lived" his whole life on the ball field. Have them embrace your DD, discuss the hitting game over a few beers, and sure enough that great dad is out there with his DD and mine doing valuable extra hitting.

So yeah, they are everywhere.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
What's the point of talking like they do on these technical forums if not to learn for your DD or to teach other players? I admit I have seen it used to degrade someone's else's kid and that stinks. Or to impress someone and sell lessons.

I don't get it. To me it is some sort of ego feeding, whether it is to talk or teach. And yes, I said armchair quarterbacks. Have you played softball? Are you going to play the game yourself? You think you can hide your approach from your kid? This board is full of guys going off to get their kids to understand whatever the latest magnus opus is. To me , it means a lack of natural connection with the sport, so you gotta cover that up with blab. Get real.

Do you really think even major league coaches get lost in this stuff? The last thing some MLB coach IMO needs is some diva player getting all lost in why he is in a slump. Go hit the ball and stop thinking so much.

The technical hitting forum is not for the average parent or coach trying to help their DD/players develop a high level swing. The technical hitting forum is for the hitting gurus to discuss the various aspects of the swing itself. The Practical Hitting thread is actually where parents and coaches should go to get "practical" advice about what their dd's need to improve on. The hitting gurus often refer to different posts in the Technical Forum and the .gifs shown there-in but by no means is it meant for the uninitiated.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

Truer words have never been spoken in the case of my DD except I never found that really good coach before she became her college coach's responsibility.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
What's the point of talking like they do on these technical forums if not to learn for your DD or to teach other players? I admit I have seen it used to degrade someone's else's kid and that stinks. Or to impress someone and sell lessons.

I don't get it. To me it is some sort of ego feeding, whether it is to talk or teach. And yes, I said armchair quarterbacks. Have you played softball? Are you going to play the game yourself? You think you can hide your approach from your kid? This board is full of guys going off to get their kids to understand whatever the latest magnus opus is. To me , it means a lack of natural connection with the sport, so you gotta cover that up with blab. Get real.

Do you really think even major league coaches get lost in this stuff? The last thing some MLB coach IMO needs is some diva player getting all lost in why he is in a slump. Go hit the ball and stop thinking so much.

OILF - Do yourself and your players a favor and stop coaching before you ruin the game for them, too.