Rebuilding/creating a culture

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
I'll get to the point. My DD's 16UB team stinks. Nice girls, but they are not good. DD's pitching okay -- so is the other pitcher -- but we're averaging 4 errors a game and aside from DD and two others, no one can hit -- team BA is .266 and OBP is only .320. We aren't even taking walks. We're 2-13-1 for the season and are averaging about two runs scored and 10 given up a game.

So we're starting to lose everyone. parents are grumbling, coaches are getting upset, girls are checking out. We spent the entire off season in the cages hitting off machines and getting in what work we could but it hasn't been enough so far. And more than anything else, it's not fun for anyone. They aren't playing with energy -- as soon as something goes wrong, they expect to lose and then it snowballs.

So I talked with the HC yesterday about what we could do to at least start giving the girls some fun, and maybe get better. I've done some team building over my real life, and I want to see if y'all thought it might help out. We're going to try setting different goals for games and for each player -- stuff they can feel good about even if they have a mistake or we lose. So instead of taking to 3B about no errors, have her shoot for three clean plays or three good throws a game. DD's would be to not walk a lead-off. She can give up a home run, but not walk a lead off. OFs can't count on the ball getting hit to them, but they can crash grounders. or be the first person to their spot to start the inning. Stuff like that.

As a team, then, then goal might be to score 4. Or to win or tie an inning every game. Little stuff so they can feel like they accomplished what they set out to do for the game even if they lost, because I think if they start putting together little success the bigger ones will follow. We're going to start giving out helmet stickers for plays and making their goals. Anything to get them feeling better about themselves, and remind them they can do things on the field.

But as I've thought about it, I'm getting worried. These aren't 12-year-olds. Almost all of them drive cars, are looking at colleges, are turning into women. Some are sleeping with each other. Will this stuff I'm talking about come off as too patronizing or too infantile? DD thinks we'll have buy in, but I'm sure we'll have a few that will roll their eyes and that's enough to throw off the entire team.

So that's what we're thinking now. Does anyone have suggestions/feedback or ideas hat might help? It's going to be a long season if things don't get better, or a real short one because more than a few parents are starting to talk about pulling the plug. It's a lot to do if no one is having fun. I'd hate for that to happen because there aren't many years left -- this could be DD's last one -- but that would be less bad than watching them fail four times a weekend.

May 20, 2015
Proactive Coaching's methods of creating a team covenant are top notch......involves the team itself setting standards it wishes to uphold, and then everyone holding each other accountable to those standards

it's solid stuff

May 6, 2015
maybe not formalize, but if the coaches start praising those little things vocally so that entire team can hear, it might build from there.

ie great backup mary (even if the backup was not needed), great hustle Jenny (if OF ran for ball but missed catch).

also, try to stress to them to play for each other, not the parents, not the coaches, but their teammates. but also stress picking each other up when someone is down. encourage peer recognition of desired behaviour.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Yes...play an easier schedule 🤷‍♂️
Not sure where your team is from and how many teams in the area but you must play an easier schedule for a month or two. You must book some wins. OR leave the team, which might be the better choice. There is no way in hell I would have my DD (specially a pitcher) play on a team 2-13-1. It too disheartening and too discouraging.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
When your team is struggling, you have to start playing the games within the game. Change the goals to build on the process. Look at winning the inning, then break it down further. Even if the team loses, you can go back and look at the wins within the game and leave the field feeling better about themselves.

Start tracking team goals. Start tracking things like QAB's vs Average as a team. Coach says: I'd like have 10 QAB's this game. Have a clip board handy to write down tick marks. Also, Total Bases as team. Consider individual goals, like you mentioned for pitchers. 1st batter does not get on base. If the goal are not met or highly surpassed, then readjust if needed.

Define QAB's: Celebrate them and every player in the dugout should recognize if she is awarded QAB.
This is a good read. https://qualityatbats.com/blogs/news/what-is-a-quality-at-bat

No passed balls for catcher
Clean blocks
clean throw downs to 2nd on steal attempts.
Clean pick off attempts--Have a goal of maybe 3 attempts per game.

Pitchers: No hits on 0-2, 1-2 counts.

Batter that is not patient at the plate: Get deeper in the count, draw a walk.

Batters not hitting the pitch that is theirs: Cut the plate in half and focus on hitting only inside pitches or vice versa. If the pitcher is pounding the zone on first pitch with consistency, look at swinging at the first pitch.

Anyway, all the players need to buy in and you will need a way to track and then review. If you don't review, what's the point?
These are some things that we did to keep all the players engaged in the game. They will start to look at softball differently.

Nov 26, 2019
Create traditions. The HS team I coached this season was awful. Won one. And since our girls rarely play before coming our way at all, I’m likely to be in the same boat for a while to come. But the smartest thing I did this year in the first full season at the helm (2020 doesn’t count) was really emphasize team building at practices. “Softball Olympics” (which to be honest, was created on the fly): a competition of like ten events, from target practice to home to first base times, etc. “Halloween” where kids could wear costumes to practice one day. Loosen them up a bit. With helicopter parents, there may be a little bit of grumbling, but it sounds like you’re there already. It doesn’t mean just all loose-y goose-y, shenanigans, but intentional days that can act to reset the team, and make EVERYONE and everything a little less tense. It’s hard to blame the person next to you/have less self-accountability and willingness to go the extra mile if you, well, like them.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
a team needs pitching, offense, and defense to win. the best teams have all 3, good teams make do with 2 of 3, and everyone else does what they can with a single facet of the game. having been in your shoes, the game plan became this - a open talk with players and parents about our strenghths and weaknesses. then choose your one greatest strength and work on making it stronger until it wins you a game or two. now add your next best strength and repeat. they need to feel good about something. why not start with what they are now doing best? it's the easiest and quickest way out of the valley of discontent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802