Anybody feel dumb when reading hitting/pitching forums?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
I read the hitters boards strictly or fun. The real answer is to find a succession of great hitting coaches, the ones who embrace your DD. Give her personal attention. The ones that listen to the player and parents and works slowly, one step at a time, to develop a great swing.

Once you focus your energy as a parent finding these hitting coaches (they are just about everywhere). Then keep your player with that coach as long as possible, to be passed onto the next great hitting coach.

As a hitters Dad, we always played for the great hitting coaches. Never chased the big org. and it has worked out very well for us.

These boards use way too many words to describe what happens in less than a second in time. I do not understand much of what is being said. But my DD's coaches do, and more importantly are able to disect it and put in a language my scatter-brained young lady can actually apply to her swing.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Who would of thought this would have turned into a Tech hitting thread bash? I feel like a just walk into a intervention and all the people are there for me.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I read the hitters boards strictly or fun. The real answer is to find a succession of great hitting coaches, the ones who embrace your DD. Give her personal attention. The ones that listen to the player and parents and works slowly, one step at a time, to develop a great swing.

Once you focus your energy as a parent finding these hitting coaches (they are just about everywhere). Then keep your player with that coach as long as possible, to be passed onto the next great hitting coach.

As a hitters Dad, we always played for the great hitting coaches. Never chased the big org. and it has worked out very well for us.

These boards use way too many words to describe what happens in less than a second in time. I do not understand much of what is being said. But my DD's coaches do, and more importantly are able to disect it and put in a language my scatter-brained young lady can actually apply to her swing.

SCD - Count your blessings! This ^^^^^is the truth and, unfortunately, the exception rather than the rule IME.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Who would of thought this would have turned into a Tech hitting thread bash? I feel like a just walk into a intervention and all the people are there for me.
Tech hitting thread bash for being too tech. We just need to make it more practical……hey wait a minute, maybe the dfp should start a forum for people that don't like, are too dumb, or too lazy to figure out technically how a swing works. They could call it the PRACTICAL HITTING FORUM. People could post their daughter's swing and others could give advice like "I think she has the bat upside down." or "she might hit the ball into the field that the other team is playing in if she was swinging toward the girl throwing it instead of the girl catching it."

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
There are no shortcuts. Just make another GIF, post it in the http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...-step-softball-addicts-anonymous-program.html thread and you'll be fine.

images

Feb 22, 2013
Sometimes, I feel dumb when I write about pitching or put in my two cents about pitching.

Example, once I posted a question in a thread that was similar to the following question. Why abandon the peel drop for the roll over drop, why not work on both? Then I posted about the University of Oregon Pitcher who used both pitches in 2013 and was PAC 12 pitcher of the year. She threw her peel drop 4 to 6mph faster than her roll over. I got several questions about my posting, as to whether the peel drop was her fastball or how the peel drop and roll over were released the same.

I had to go back to my dvr, pull up the Oregon vs Nebraska Super Regionals game and watch Jessica Moore pitch to see if I had made a mistake in my observation of her peel drop and her roll over drop. Then, I saw something that I had never noticed before. Jessica Moore threw her peel drop with a Hello Elbow(HE) follow through and her roll over drop with an Internal Rotation(IR) follow through.

Could it be? Can both be effective? How many girls throw with both IR and HE? Does one really stand out that much better than the other? Why didn't I notice Jessica Moore's different drop ball follow throughs when I was watching the game?

Example 2, I was a lurker for 1+ years like many before me. I joined DFP when I saw a person ask a question about pitching accuracy problems. In my very first post on DFP, I offered a suggestion of having the pitcher release the ball when her forearm hit her hip, therefore releasing the pitch at the same place everytime. The word hit didn't sit well with some. Nowadays on DFP there is a commonly accepted phrase, such as Brush Interference. Prior to my 1st post, I had never seen the word Brush Interference and I had read every pitching thread on DFP that I could access.

Sometimes, I do feel dumb when reading the pitching forums, because I don't recognize the obvious. Similar to when I look into the refrigerator, push the milk out of my way so I can get a better view of the top shelf and then ask my wife, hey, where did you put the milk? or Are we out of milk?

I'm a well educated man and a somewhat accomplished athlete, and I have no idea what they are talking about in the hitting forums. Not that I would throw stones at anyone that is willing to help, but if someone asks a question about clarifying "turn the barrel" or "hitting around the corner" (or whatever), posting a gif of Barry Bonds with no description at all doesn't help me understand it. Then following that up with someone else congratulating them for the gif and saying, "You hit it on the head. Just make sure they feel a squeeze in the right latissimus dorsi right before the internal rotation of the hip flexor" helps even less.

Again, not busting any stones, but when someone says go back and read the "TTB" topic, I just giggle and think "Ya, good luck with that".
This is kind of what I was trying to hit on in an earlier post I made in this thread, although you did it way better than I.

I see some poor bloke post a video of his 9-year-old girl and then get one-word answers like "sequence" or something like you've identified, above.

The best hitting coaches I've known work on one thing at a time and can put it into words even that 9-year-old can understand. Those are the folks you need to seek out. Another great thing about them and their ability is they shorten your leaning curve immensely, as well.

Last edited: