Anybody feel dumb when reading hitting/pitching forums?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
I feel like I need a Pitching for Dummies or Hitting for Dummies book. As I view the gifs/movies, I try as hard as I can to visualize what everyone is talking about. But nope, nada. I give up. Luckily my dd is smarter than me. :)

Am I alone? LOL.

DEFINITELY not alone. I posted a short clip of my daghter's swing a month ago and got some good feedback, but I also got a lot of stuff that was so far over my head they could have been talking about string theory for all I know. I definitely feel that some of the feedback could be classified as "paralysis by analysis." I mean the minutiae is rather staggering. I know "see the ball hit the ball" is too simplistic, but I think advice should be a bit easier to understand.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
When I first joined, I wanted a sequential list of steps to turn my DD into a great pitcher and hitter. Do A, then B, then C, etc... What I didn't realize was, in order for my DD to reach a certain level of success required a lot of learning on my part. In addition to learning, I also had to figure out a way to distill some very technical information.

You see it almost every day in the hitting forums, someone wanting a simple explanation of how to swing, but unless you embrace the process, immerse yourself in the information, read it, re-read it, look at hundreds of clips, the knowledge is very hard to gain.

For me, the more I read and study, the more I am able to see things I never used to be able to see. It was like looking at those pictures with hidden images and never being able to see what others saw, then over time I started to be able to see it.

What!? That's crazy! Spend the hours and hours on here learning and devoting to helping your daughter!? (Which for a fact I know has). You should be spending hours and hours on here whining and crying that it isn't easy enough, not simple enough for me to understand. But then your dd wouldn't be standing out in the crowd right now if it were easy for everybody.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Mods just installed this on the Tech hitting thread:
easy.jpg

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
When I first joined, I wanted a sequential list of steps to turn my DD into a great pitcher and hitter. Do A, then B, then C, etc... What I didn't realize was, in order for my DD to reach a certain level of success required a lot of learning on my part. In addition to learning, I also had to figure out a way to distill some very technical information.

You see it almost every day in the hitting forums, someone wanting a simple explanation of how to swing, but unless you embrace the process, immerse yourself in the information, read it, re-read it, look at hundreds of clips, the knowledge is very hard to gain.

For me, the more I read and study, the more I am able to see things I never used to be able to see. It was like looking at those pictures with hidden images and never being able to see what others saw, then over time I started to be able to see it.

hidden10.gif

Dude! I see a CF7, a crow hopper, a breakfast burrito from the snack bar and a bugger on a branch! (Who would draw a picture with a bugger on a branch?!?!)

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Dude! I see a CF7, a crow hopper, a breakfast burrito from the snack bar and a bugger on a branch! (Who would draw a picture with a bugger on a branch?!?!)

I thought it was the Anheiser Busch family.

Feb 5, 2013
I'm a well educated man and a somewhat accomplished athlete, and I have no idea what they are talking about in the hitting forums. Not that I would throw stones at anyone that is willing to help, but if someone asks a question about clarifying "turn the barrel" or "hitting around the corner" (or whatever), posting a gif of Barry Bonds with no description at all doesn't help me understand it. Then following that up with someone else congratulating them for the gif and saying, "You hit it on the head. Just make sure they feel a squeeze in the right latissimus dorsi right before the internal rotation of the hip flexor" helps even less.

Again, not busting any stones, but when someone says go back and read the "TTB" topic, I just giggle and think "Ya, good luck with that".

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Used to feel the same way until I really started paying attention to my daughters pitching coach. I played baseball for 18 years so I do understand batting a little better.

Just throw the words high level into all of your posts and eventually you will fit in fine. ie. My dd's high level swing...

Sep 18, 2011
I'm a well educated man and a somewhat accomplished athlete, and I have no idea what they are talking about in the hitting forums. Not that I would throw stones at anyone that is willing to help, but if someone asks a question about clarifying "turn the barrel" or "hitting around the corner" (or whatever), posting a gif of Barry Bonds with no description at all doesn't help me understand it. Then following that up with someone else congratulating them for the gif and saying, "You hit it on the head. Just make sure they feel a squeeze in the right latissimus dorsi right before the internal rotation of the hip flexor" helps even less.

Again, not busting any stones, but when someone says go back and read the "TTB" topic, I just giggle and think "Ya, good luck with that".

Priceless. My nominee for post of the year.