Anybody feel dumb when reading hitting/pitching forums?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
The technical hitting forum is for the hitting gurus to discuss the various aspects of the swing itself.

If by "discuss" you mean bicker, argue, and insult then yes, I agree with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The technical hitting forum is for the hitting gurus to discuss the various aspects of the swing itself. QUOTE]

If by "discuss" you mean bicker, argue, and insult then yes, I agree with you.

And so you can tell me that you have never had a disagreement with your coworkers over a concept? It's all theoretical! The thing is, just because you hold your own opinion over something doesn't make you wrong. I don't post on there nor do I agree with everything that's said. However, I teach and adhere to what I believe in and have had a lot of success with what I teach. It happens to coincide with approximately 90% of what I read on that forum. The rest, as far as I'm concerned, is nothing more than individual styles in what they teach (slight differences in the load etc.) and how they teach it which accounts for 98% of the arguments. If you read closely, most of them agree on the basic tenets of the high level swing pattern.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
comminication.jpg

Look at 3a please
This is straight off of Websters...ironically, they cite "the function of bug pheromones in communication as an example (huh?) but then simplify this definition as "exchange of information."

I see both sides here. I'm an IT geek by day. If I talked blocking port multicast traffic on the external firewalls, layer 2/3 switch configurations difference or even 32 bit vs. 64 bit architecture I would get nothing but a glazed over audience. Hell, my CIO is a technical neophyte! I could tell her I'm modifying the 3rd fetzer valve from the left, lubricating the muffler bearings and then re-compiling the thingamabob and she would respond "great, make it happen!"

From the OP point of view...yes, much of what is posted on hitting and pitching can seem overwhelming. Much of this confusion can simple be cleared up just by getting a better handle on human movement terms. Here's a few pics of what I mean:

Body_Movements_I.jpgmovements.jpgMovement1.jpg

HOWEVER, on the side of the folks who tend to post things that some of you complain are too confusing, take a second and understand that trying to break down\describe bodily movements without using bodily movement terminology is damn near impossible and actually can lead to greater ambiguity.

As for turning the barrel and defining the corner...I understand those are confusing...hand in there, you'll get it :)

IMO, there is no easy answer...however the dumbest question is the one that isn't asked...keep asking!

CP

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
View attachment 5550

Look at 3a please
This is straight off of Websters...ironically, they cite "the function of bug pheromones in communication as an example (huh?) but then simplify this definition as "exchange of information."

I see both sides here. I'm an IT geek by day. If I talked blocking port multicast traffic on the external firewalls, layer 2/3 switch configurations difference or even 32 bit vs. 64 bit architecture I would get nothing but a glazed over audience. Hell, my CIO is a technical neophyte! I could tell her I'm modifying the 3rd fetzer valve from the left, lubricating the muffler bearings and then re-compiling the thingamabob and she would respond "great, make it happen!"

From the OP point of view...yes, much of what is posted on hitting and pitching can seem overwhelming. Much of this confusion can simple be cleared up just by getting a better handle on human movement terms. Here's a few pics of what I mean:

View attachment 5551View attachment 5552View attachment 5553

HOWEVER, on the side of the folks who tend to post things that some of you complain are too confusing, take a second and understand that trying to break down\describe bodily movements without using bodily movement terminology is damn near impossible and actually can lead to greater ambiguity.

As for turning the barrel and defining the corner...I understand those are confusing...hand in there, you'll get it :)

IMO, there is no easy answer...however the dumbest question is the one that isn't asked...keep asking!

CP

Now THIS post should be posted as a sticky in both the Hitting Technical and Pitching Technical Forums!!!!