Advice to New pitching parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 21, 2024
For a pitcher to be "good," she needs to throw about 100,000 pitches. She should be throwing 100 to 200 pitches 3 or 4 times a week.

Throwing into a net isn't going to get it. She needs to have a catcher, most likely you or your SO.

In order for to become "good" at pitching, she has to pitch. If she isn't getting enough, she needs to find a team where she can pitch.
I agree with trying to find a team that will let her pitch. We tired that last spring, but she never got to even try with that team. So we moved to a new team this fall and they barely give her a warmup and pull her after half an inning.She is getting a warm up of maybe 10 knee drill pitches and 10 Standing K’s( not sure if those are the proper terms) then put on the mound to figure it out. She is an outfielder during games she is not pitching because she is amazing out there. She can catch anything and has an incredible arm to get the ball in fast. She is also great at covering third base due to over throws and bad plays! It’s hard when you’re battling daddy and momma ball!(Just saying) I don’t know enough about the sport to coach. I feel it would not be fair to the girls to have a coach that knows nothing! Also she is only 11,She turns 12 in February.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022
I agree with trying to find a team that will let her pitch. We tired that last spring, but she never got to even try with that team. So we moved to a new team this fall and they barely give her a warmup and pull her after half an inning.She is getting a warm up of maybe 10 knee drill pitches and 10 Standing K’s( not sure if those are the proper terms) then put on the mound to figure it out. She is an outfielder during games she is not pitching because she is amazing out there. She can catch anything and has an incredible arm to get the ball in fast. She is also great at covering third base due to over throws and bad plays! It’s hard when you’re battling daddy and momma ball!(Just saying) I don’t know enough about the sport to coach. I feel it would not be fair to the girls to have a coach that knows nothing! Also she is only 11,She turns 12 in February.
From what I have seen and experienced knowing anything is not a requirement to coach😀