Advice to New pitching parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Hard truth here. Not everyone is cut out to be a pitcher. I've seen some girls excel in lessons and practice but freeze up in games. I'm not saying this is your daughter, but there comes a time when they have to decide if it's for them or not.

We had a local girl who was a hard thrower for 12U. She could bring it at 55-56 in local rec ball, but once she got to playing travel and couldn't blow it by everyone, she started to clench up and fall apart. Within one year, she was done pitching. Everyone thought they could fix her, but she never got over the mental hump. It worked out okay for her, as she's now a senior at a very competitive D2 school in PA.

I don't know if you want to invest in this at 12U, but if she wants to keep pitching, go see a sports therapist. I know that helped my daughter a lot.

Sep 21, 2024
Hard truth here. Not everyone is cut out to be a pitcher. I've seen some girls excel in lessons and practice but freeze up in games. I'm not saying this is your daughter, but there comes a time when they have to decide if it's for them or not.

We had a local girl who was a hard thrower for 12U. She could bring it at 55-56 in local rec ball, but once she got to playing travel and couldn't blow it by everyone, she started to clench up and fall apart. Within one year, she was done pitching. Everyone thought they could fix her, but she never got over the mental hump. It worked out okay for her, as she's now a senior at a very competitive D2 school in PA.

I don't know if you want to invest in this at 12U, but if she wants to keep pitching, go see a sports therapist. I know that helped my daughter a lot.
Yes I agree! I tell her all the time that we support her either way. She still says this is what she wants to do so I want to support her. I would not be upset if she did not want to even play softball as it’s not a sport I enjoy to play or watch. I just keep trying to be supportive as she says she wants to pitch.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
She still says this is what she wants to do so I want to support her. I would not be upset if she did not want to even play softball as it’s not a sport I enjoy to play or watch. I just keep trying to be supportive as she says she wants to pitch.
So, she may be picking up on your dislike of the game without even realizing it. My daughter quit soccer at a young age when she realized I hated the sport and wouldn't even go to the games. It was hard for me to be supportive and work with her when I'd rather be set on fire than watch that awful excuse for a sport. Now, she made the right choice because softball is her love, but there is a part of me that feels bad it was my fault she quit a different sport.

As much as you might not like the sport, cheering her on and being enthusiastic, as difficult as it might be, could help her get over whatever is causing her issues.

If anyone takes offense to what I said about soccer, tough. 😜

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
So, she may be picking up on your dislike of the game without even realizing it. My daughter quit soccer at a young age when she realized I hated the sport and wouldn't even go to the games. It was hard for me to be supportive and work with her when I'd rather be set on fire than watch that awful excuse for a sport. Now, she made the right choice because softball is her love, but there is a part of me that feels bad it was my fault she quit a different sport.

As much as you might not like the sport, cheering her on and being enthusiastic, as difficult as it might be, could help her get over whatever is causing her issues.

Soccer is a thinking man’s game. It’s not for you.

Sep 21, 2024

Oh don’t get me wrong, I go all out cheering her on. I am team mom and always getting gifts and treats for the girls! I know how to be a cheerleader, even though I would rather be doing just about anything else!😂 I feel the same about soccer!😉

Apr 14, 2022
Change the goal. Not to be perfect but to improve each time.

When DD was younger there was a lag of a couple of months from what she did in lessons vs on the field.

Apr 14, 2022
Change the goal. Not to be perfect but to improve each time.

When DD was younger there was a lag of a couple of months from what she did in lessons vs on the field.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It’s almost like she gets so scared she forgets.

For a pitcher to be "good," she needs to throw about 100,000 pitches. She should be throwing 100 to 200 pitches 3 or 4 times a week.

Throwing into a net isn't going to get it. She needs to have a catcher, most likely you or your SO.

In order for to become "good" at pitching, she has to pitch. If she isn't getting enough, she needs to find a team where she can pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing