A couple DP/FLEX questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I was reviewing the NFHS DP/FLEX Simplified, as I do quite often, and something I hadn't really noticed before stuck out to me:
1649050832420.png

Why is "STARTING" capitalized here? I read the actual rules and didn't see anything that would suggest a substitute in the DP position can't do everything the starting DP can do. Anybody know what this emphasis is about?

Also, do players have to start in the position listed on the lineup card? IOW, can the person listed as DP actually play a position immediately (not in place of the Flex, but one of the other 8 players in the lineup)? I'm almost positive she can because I can swear I've seen DPs as starting pitcher, but wanted to ask to be sure.

Edit: What I've done this year is list a player at, say, shortstop even though she's never played there in her life. My actual shortstop is listed as the DP for the DP/flex flexibility the rule provides. The DP actually plays short, and the girl listed as SS only hits (or maybe plays elsewhere and a different girl is hitter only).

Feb 12, 2014
I was reviewing the NFHS DP/FLEX Simplified, as I do quite often, and something I hadn't really noticed before stuck out to me:
View attachment 25300

Why is "STARTING" capitalized here? I read the actual rules and didn't see anything that would suggest a substitute in the DP position can't do everything the starting DP can do. Anybody know what this emphasis is about?

Also, do players have to start in the position listed on the lineup card? IOW, can the person listed as DP actually play a position immediately (not in place of the Flex, but one of the other 8 players in the lineup)? I'm almost positive she can because I can swear I've seen DPs as starting pitcher, but wanted to ask to be sure.

Edit: What I've done this year is list a player at, say, shortstop even though she's never played there in her life. My actual shortstop is listed as the DP for the DP/flex flexibility the rule provides. The DP actually plays short, and the girl listed as SS only hits (or maybe plays elsewhere and a different girl is hitter only).

If my DP was playing the field to start the game, I would report that in the pre-game lineup exchange. The way I used it quite frequently last season is that I would sub the DP in for the Flex in the pre-game meeting. This would allow me to re-enter my Flex as my pitcher later in the game without having to have her in the hitting lineup.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
I do this all the time and never had had any issues with umps. Not sure why they emphasize STARTING - I’ve never had to tell blue or other coach whom they are fielding for either unless you have them starting as pitcher or catcher as they need to know that
Not an answer to your question but just a “I do this all the time and it’s never been an issue”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 24, 2010
View attachment 25300

speaking NFHS

1) No clue. The DP or her substitute may play defense for the Flex (this is a substitution) or any of the other 8 (this is not a substitution.)

2) There is no requirement for anyone (except the listed P/C)* to play even one pitch in the listed fielding position. Make the change after lineups are official and the umpire asks if you want to make any changes.

* effect of CR rule 8-9-2 and Exception.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad