2 speed change ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
I am looking for some ideas on how to teach a pitcher 2 speeds for changes. currently throws a backhand change about 12-13 mph off rise/curve. Looking for ideas for how to drop speed one more notch.

advanced pitcher

Dec 19, 2008
My opinion, have her learn the flip change. It is the hardest to learn. My daughter almost has this pitch perfected. And when it works, it is N-A-S-T-Y-!!!

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I am looking for some ideas on how to teach a pitcher 2 speeds for changes. currently throws a backhand change about 12-13 mph off rise/curve. Looking for ideas for how to drop speed one more notch.

advanced pitcher

Good grief, how hard does she throw? 65-13= 52, or 60-13= 47, thats a LOT of difference! Any slower and the batter will have time to reload. 'Rainbow Pitch' maybe? ;)

May 5, 2009
Leave the existing change up as is. Add an offspeed screw or curve just by tucking her pointer finger.

Jul 26, 2010
Roll-over changups have drop-curve movement, basically you roll your hand over thumb first in front of the ball and release it off the pinky side of the hand on the way out. Some call it the "triple pitch". It's a good change to throw to right handed batters, though it doesn't loose as much speed as other changeups.

I agree with Screwball, all the good changeups "die" right before they cross the plate.

-W

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Someone mentioned 'Old school', I guess I'm from the antique school.

A change up can be defined as ANY speed of pitch delivered that is not in sync with what the pitcher's motions would lead you to believe.

MOST people only associate the term 'Change up' with a pitch that is delivered at a slower rate of speed then the pitcher's motions lead them to believe / expect. IE: Fast motions - slow delivery speed.

Why not give her the exact opposite of that, IE: Slower motions but a fast delivery speed. It can be done if you know what you are doing.

If the batters cannot trust ANY pitch the pitcher throws, if they have no clue how fast THIS pitch will be coming by watching the pitcher's motions, there is only one thing left to them to decide how fast THIS pitch is coming; They must watch the ball travel from the pitcher's hand to decide exactly how fast the ball is coming and WHEN TO PULL THE TRIGGER AND START THIER SWING.

THAT TAKES TIME THE BATTERS DO NOT HAVE!

sneakysoftballpitching.com

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06