What is the most difficult pitch to hit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I read a scientific study (undoubtedly posted here somewhere) where a really dorky science-type-person proved that the ball has to go 56mph for the riseball to be effective.
I wrote something to complain about this character assassination before realizing it was entirely correct so I deleted it 😂

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have some general guidelines that I use when I call pitches against a team that I know nothing about. Fast: up and in. Slow: low and away. Good hitters can do damage on inside pitches unless you can jam them up and in. I try to make good hitters hit a low, outside pitch. Weak hitters are more vulnerable inside, so go more inside on them, they will have more luck making contact on outside pitches. That's assuming that your fastball is 'competitive'. Change up is aimed low or low and away. I like to call change ups after a strike. At times, with two strikes, a good high fastball at the top of the zone will draw a swing. Be more aggressive against the bottom of the order. But of course every hitter has their own strengths and weaknesses: and watching each at bat could yield information that can be used the next time a hitter comes up.

Mar 10, 2022
The riseball is really hard for batters, and once she has a decent one it probably becomes her strikeout pitch. However, like you say, it needs to be fast to be effective. I read a scientific study (undoubtedly posted here somewhere) where a really dorky science-type-person proved that the ball has to go 56mph for the riseball to be effective.

I'm in the camp that believes that a rise ball doesn't rise, but rather descends more slowly than a fastball. And my DD is instructed to get a bit lower at release so the ball has more of an upward initial trajectory. So while it's probably not the right pitch for you today, it will be soon. And being ready for it and practicing it before you'll use it in a game could be beneficial. Perhaps as she passes 50mph.

That said, many young pitchers go far with a well placed fastball and a great changeup.
Thanks for the advice!

Mar 10, 2022
I have some general guidelines that I use when I call pitches against a team that I know nothing about. Fast: up and in. Slow: low and away. Good hitters can do damage on inside pitches unless you can jam them up and in. I try to make good hitters hit a low, outside pitch. Weak hitters are more vulnerable inside, so go more inside on them, they will have more luck making contact on outside pitches. That's assuming that your fastball is 'competitive'. Change up is aimed low or low and away. I like to call change ups after a strike. At times, with two strikes, a good high fastball at the top of the zone will draw a swing. Be more aggressive against the bottom of the order. But of course every hitter has their own strengths and weaknesses: and watching each at bat could yield information that can be used the next time a hitter comes up.
This is great. Thanks!

Jul 31, 2019
Good Morning!
Question:
What pitches do your Hitters struggle with the most?
I am mom to a pitcher and looking for your feedback so I can make decisions on what pitches to focus in. She's too slow for a riseball but besides that what are hardest to hit?

Background:
My daughter is a first year 12U.
She has great command of fastball 45mph and change up 36mph. She has good spin on curveball but only throws it right (so it moves) about 30% of the time. Same with her offspeed curve.
I'm thinking of ditching curve for a drop ball. Even when thrown right I feel like changing planes would be better.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Define "great command".

Jul 31, 2019
If she has a really good change, dont be afraid to throw it anytime. 0-0 counts, 3-2 counts

May 23, 2019
My daughter is in 10u a lot of the changeups are DRASTIC and just float over the plate.
The girls finally faced a pitcher that would throw 2 or 3 in a row. the girls were completely off balance and guessing. So far it has been once you get fooled by the change the next pitch is ALWAYS a fastball.

I would just say the most important thing is to have the ability to throw all your pitches for strikes is most important

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The answer to the question in the title is simple. Any pitch that changes both planes...both North to South and East to West simultaneously. Thus, a cutter, drop curve, scrise, etc. would fit the bill. Now if you add a change up that acts like a cutter but is much slower, then you REALLY have pitch that's difficult to hit. Of course, these others may be unattainable for a 12 YO but the change up acting like a cutter isn't.

ETA: Shouldn't have said just North to South and East to West. Any pitch that changes both planes simultaneously, no matter what they are, is what I meant.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28