191 pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
It just isn't the same.
For the younger ages - there is simply less stress in throwing the ball at the velocities and spin rates of college. And in the older ages the teams that go deep aren't living on one arm for every game.

But even more importantly., the stress of pitching in college games (and even good high school) is just immense. The amount of energy and effort that goes into throwing a 7 inning game is huge. Every pitch means more and you have to put more into it.
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I would say younger girl’s especially the ones throwing at the higher end of velocity for there age is just as susceptible if not more to over use injury as a grown woman that is training at a much higher level than younger girls. I would say most injuries that start showing up later in their career began because of stupid coaches pitching them to much at 10-12 years old

Aug 1, 2019
MN
That’s definitely true. But I don’t think that justifies that much work at the younger levels either, even if you are splitting those pitches up between multiple games on one day. Maybe if these are must-win games in a qualifier or at nationals, but it should be the exception, just as it should have been in this seemingly meaningless non conference matchup with Minnesota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nobody wants to lose to a team of these:

1678420649203.gif

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Some elite pitchers are exceptions to the general rule and any pitcher might be dealing in a given game; however, the data clearly shows pitching effectiveness drops off sharply the third time through the order (let alone a fourth). Apart from player health, probability suggests that a pitching change should have been made sooner.

Dec 11, 2010
Ok, I've changed my mind. This coach needs to be fired...immediately (where is my resume..need to polish it up for the pending job opening..)
I want to be your hitting coach.

Wait, no I don’t. Being a college coach doesn’t look all that fun!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I would say younger girl’s especially the ones throwing at the higher end of velocity for there age is just as susceptible if not more to over use injury as a grown woman that is training at a much higher level than younger girls. I would say most injuries that start showing up later in their career began because of stupid coaches pitching them to much at 10-12 years old
Oh I am not saying that younger players should be over throwing - but there is a real difference on the stresses of 40mph to 60mph+. Which is why I see the injuries really start to happen in 14U+ as a lot of players start hitting these velocities.

A lot of girls come into college with dead arms and injured because of overuse. It annoys a lot of college coaches because they wanted to be the one to overuse the player and someone got to her first.

Feb 7, 2014
I saw a nice mid major lose a game by breaking a cardinal rule: “Don’t let the best player on the other team beat you”. The coach pitched to the only hitter on the team that could beat them statistically. Home run. Game over, walkoff.
I see this "cardinal rule" violated all the time to team's detriment. The lack of scouting or just general knowledge of the oppostion sometimes is astounding.

Last year I read about one young lady hitting four (maybe it was five?) home runs in a high school game. They kept pitching to her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles