191 pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
only excuse that is even partially believable, is they had ZERO other pitching help available. And I mean ZERO.

Anything else, is just ineptitude and stupidity combined from coaching staff.
I believe they had another game that day. Of course there were other pitchers. This is a top 50 team. I can almost hear the coaches excuse, "well we asked her every inning if she still wanted to go back out and she said yes."

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If you are under the impression that because they coach college they are a good coach, you are mistaken. There are proportionally more decent coaches than in most other levels, but they still range from 'should never be allowed to coach' to 'awesome' and everything in-between.

I have been saying for years that the worst coach I know is a long time Power5 softball head coach who has won conference titles despite their best efforts to ruin it. And I think I first said that 5 years ago and THEY ARE STILL THERE. This coach shouldn't be let near a t-ball team.

The best coach I know just went back to 12UB after taking a previous group of terrible 12UB girls all the way to being a 14A top tier team with basically the same group of girls.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Why would a top D1 college coach have a pitcher throw 191 pitches. The kicker is, she gave up the most probable game winning 3 run jack on her 185th pitch in top of 12th. Why does a coach leave her in to face another batter? Unbelievably stupid. And why doesn't the crowd give her a standing ovation after battling 12 inning and throwing 191 pitches. Are softball coaches stupid and their fans inept? Asking for a friend.
1.) Because they are stupid.
2.) Because they are stupid.
3.) Because they are stupid.
4.a) Yes, many are. 4b.) Yes, many are.

Jun 8, 2016
Every coach in history (well except RH 😜) has pulled a kid too late..that in and of itself does not make them a bad coach. In terms of too many pitches what is too many for a grown woman? 140? 160? The amount she threw when she gave up the game winning homer?

My Holiday Inn Express comment had a point..

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
There will be 10, 12, 14, year old girls that will throw that many pitches and more in one day every weekend for the seven months all across this country.

It just isn't the same.
For the younger ages - there is simply less stress in throwing the ball at the velocities and spin rates of college. And in the older ages the teams that go deep aren't living on one arm for every game.

But even more importantly., the stress of pitching in college games (and even good high school) is just immense. The amount of energy and effort that goes into throwing a 7 inning game is huge. Every pitch means more and you have to put more into it.

Sep 15, 2015
It just isn't the same.

That’s definitely true. But I don’t think that justifies that much work at the younger levels either, even if you are splitting those pitches up between multiple games on one day. Maybe if these are must-win games in a qualifier or at nationals, but it should be the exception, just as it should have been in this seemingly meaningless non conference matchup with Minnesota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Arm injuries are most often due to long term exposure (which is why overpitching kids at a young age, with possibly 10 years more to pitch is more worrisome..) to overstressing of the arm not a singular event. If this a regular thing, yeah it might be an issue. I tore my bicep pitching to Marcela after throwing 20 pitches but my “windmill” form sucks and I have had numerous bouts of tendonitis in that bicep from lifting weights, etc which probably weakened the tendon over time.

Effectiveness is a different story but she had given up what 2 or 3 runs to that point? Hindsight is 20/20…

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
If you are under the impression that because they coach college they are a good coach, you are mistaken. There are proportionally more decent coaches than in most other levels, but they still range from 'should never be allowed to coach' to 'awesome' and everything in-between.

I have been saying for years that the worst coach I know is a long time Power5 softball head coach who has won conference titles despite their best efforts to ruin it. And I think I first said that 5 years ago and THEY ARE STILL THERE. This coach shouldn't be let near a t-ball team.
This is an excellent description.

There are many P5 coaching staffs that win IN SPITE of the coaches.

I saw a nice mid major lose a game by breaking a cardinal rule: “Don’t let the best player on the other team beat you”. The coach pitched to the only hitter on the team that could beat them statistically. Home run. Game over, walkoff.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812