191 pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Many coaches at all levels still don't understand the wear and tear of pitching. Yes, all pitchers are different, but I would not be comfortable allowing any pitcher to throw that many pitches.

DD was primarily a ground ball pitcher. She typically averaged 1 K per inning, but rarely any more than that. Her favorite thing was a 3 pitch inning and has done it many times. As a result, her pitch count rarely went high. The most I remember her throwing was 130 in a extra inning high school game. After the game I asked her how she felt, and her first comment was "my legs are shot". Her legs would fatigue much faster than her arm.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I just keep looking at it from the perspective of you want your stud ready to race come post-season, not ready to rest.

May 17, 2012
Many coaches at all levels still don't understand the wear and tear of pitching. Yes, all pitchers are different, but I would not be comfortable allowing any pitcher to throw that many pitches.

So you think coaches deliberately sabotage their own success because they are inept? You don't think it has occurred to coaches to keep their best players healthy?

Sure there are outliers but by in large most coaches that I know are aware of this concept.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
So you think coaches deliberately sabotage their own success because they are inept? You don't think it has occurred to coaches to keep their best players healthy?

Sure there are outliers but by in large most coaches that I know are aware of this concept.

Some coaches don't know any better...

Also, keep in mind that I said "many". I didn't say "all" or even "most".

Feb 7, 2014
I saw a nice mid major lose a game by breaking a cardinal rule: “Don’t let the best player on the other team beat you”. The coach pitched to the only hitter on the team that could beat them statistically. Home run. Game over, walkoff.
It happened again this weekend.

Wisconsin is down one to Alabama late in the game and they elect to pitch to the Badger's best hitter. She hits a home run and Alabama loses.

Tide had a rough weekend losing three of four. 😮

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Oh yeah. She was good. I think she was injured last year too or am I remembering that wrong?
She was injured for at least part of last season at Alabama. I assume she transferred to OK St at least in part because Montana Fouts was getting about 2x the innings she was in 2021 and 2022 (not sure how the injury affected this number in '22).

Something has definitely gone on in the Alabama program over the last couple of years given the number and quality of transfers out of it, including to SEC rivals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802