First Varsity Win

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
My DD had her first varsity game last night. I rolled in straight from work. Excited for the season to start, but had no expectation that my DD would even play. She is a Freshman and there is a Sophomore ahead of her on the depth chart and she is on the team to pitch rather than to hit and field. 3.5 hours later...

We won the game 16-15 in the bottom of the 9th inning on a walk off. My DD pitched the last 7 innings of the game. 130 pitches. Was the longest and craziest game I’ve ever seen.

Starter got in trouble early and in the top of the 3rd inning with no outs and bases loaded, the head coach made the call to the bullpen. I think I blacked out for a minute when I saw my daughter jogging out to the pitching circle.

It wasn’t pretty—outfielders are supposed to catch balls hit to them, right?—but it was a win and an amazing experience for my DD. Managed to strike out 7 batters, the most she ever has, and walked two. Kept the ball in the yard. Fielded her position. Threw strikes and gave team a chance. Also, because of the way the substitution was done she got to hit for herself. 0-2 with a shot to the warning track in LF and a sacrifice bunt.

Thing I am most proud of is how she managed the pressure and just kept picking herself off the floor and battling. She is just made of different stuff mentally than many. Next game is Friday...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00