16 yo struggling with SO and pop ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2022
I'm at my wits end. DD is a big strong kid that has a lot of potential at the plate, but her swing is consistently under the ball. Her batting coach has her in a wide stance with no stride to try and keep her eye level on plane. I see the issues (I think) but my efforts to correct have not helped.

Although she doesn't stride she still moves her weight to her front hip, she drops the bat head at the start of her swing to the extent that the bat is parallel to the ground and the bat finishes wrapping around her waist. Any help is appreciated.

My 16 year old has the exact same issue. She drops her hands and it’s like impossible to fix and there is no quick fix from what I’ve researched. The high tee is good probably for muscle memory but my daughter only does it during live pitch so no drills really help her. I did recently purchase a rope coach from Amazon and that hasn’t completely solved her issue but has definitely helped her hit the ball more. Look it up it’s super simple but brilliant If you ask me. In fact her coach started borrowing ours during warm ups on all the girls. It’s cheap too. Good luck and I feel your frustrations my daughter is also very powerful and had a great bat then she suddenly out or nowhere developed this issue. I think it’s due to all the coaches over the years changing her stance and giving different advice that she started overthinking her swing.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
@cufan99

Again, the sequence is wrong. Which causes all the issues that are being mentioned. It’s an upper body dominant swing which causes a launching of the bat before she gets to her front foot. That’s where the downward barrel path, poor leg action, postural issues and pushing the barrel are rooted at. I do a drill that promotes a sequential loading sequence to get things in order. The player starts w the hands at the midline and take them back against a solid back leg. This should get the middle/lower going before the upper is done loading. As of now the back leg is pushing to create a load. Notice the player below has the upper going against a stable lower which promotes torque of the middle. This should move you forward. The only cue I use w this drill is to keep the head centered. Meaning don’t let it get over the back knee. It can get back a little but we need some resistance assistance to torque the middle on time and in balance. After you master this, most things should clean up.

View attachment 25992

WW, don't disagree with what you said.. All great hitters swing "down to".. Her rear leg definitely appears to be driving (ER maybe ??) at the same time her arms are pushing down and forward which causes her to swing around the ball... She never gets into her legs before contracting the core.

zoQHSPu.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
WW, don't disagree with what you said.. All great hitters swing "down to".. Her rear leg definitely appears to be driving (ER maybe ??) at the same time her arms are pushing down and forward which causes her to swing around the ball... She never gets into her legs before contracting the core.

zoQHSPu.gif

I agree w you. I think this is exactly why ‘swing down’ gets a bad rep. As soon as the hands get inward she is launching.. basically from her back side. I think I said she is launching before leveraged for sure. ‘No stride’ doesn’t take care of that. Imho if you torque the middle while in balance you get leveraged. The middle moves you w support from the entire system. I think most things clean up after this. I think that’s the key to 80-90% of things.

As far as ER of the leg, I think that’s a result of up top intent. She’s torquing the shoulders so early. Very top down.

Reactions: TDS

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I agree w you. I think this is exactly why ‘swing down’ gets a bad rep. As soon as the hands get inward she is launching.. basically from her back side. I think I said she is launching before leveraged for sure. ‘No stride’ doesn’t take care of that. Imho if you torque the middle while in balance you get leveraged. The middle moves you w support from the entire system. I think most things clean up after this. I think that’s the key to 80-90% of things.

As far as ER of the leg, I think that’s a result of up top intent. She’s torquing the shoulders so early. Very top down.

Yea, she definitely pushes down with the arms.. I am looking at the when the rear leg, hands /arms appear to happen simultaneously.

XTtG5QL.gif

Oct 2, 2017
I really appreciate all the input guys! I'm not sure I know what to do though, lol.
Just pick one area and focus on it only for a while. I personally would start with working the upper rearward instead of rotating out. That is just my opinion. Do it on a low tee. and a tee somewhat deep.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55