13 Y.O. open for discussion.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Looks like this correct?

coachbob, that is one way to look at it or do it. The core movement pattern will allow for more dynamic balance throughout the body vs leveraging one side to do most of the work.

You added this clip after I had already replied. whats your point?

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
CqP3wP.jpg

Resistance using both hips/legs.

Butter, let's not play that game. You know what I was trying to show with my illustration.

120161152.jpg

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Yes - I know you were attempting to misrepresent what TDS and I believe. Nice try.

That's an absurd notion. Why would I care if you believe in in the tooth fairy. How about that clip now? Show me a student who uses your cues to produce a swing. It doesn't have to be perfect; just show me one, and explain how they are two leggedly, sagittaly planing their core pulse. C'mon, just one little clip.

May 3, 2014
That's an absurd notion. Why would I care if you believe in in the tooth fairy. How about that clip now? Show me a student who uses your cues to produce a swing. It doesn't have to be perfect; just show me one, and explain how they are two leggedly, sagittaly planing their core pulse. C'mon, just one little clip.

Nah. I have given out enough public info for anyone to figure out that another website is trading out incomplete information. But, if you want to travel to my neck of the woods shoot me a pm and we can meet up.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP, the un-tipping begins during pitch recognition and will just continue it's un-tip within the sagittal plane for off-speed.

Thanks TDS. What I was looking at as "untipping" and what you were talking about as "untipping" were two different things. I understand what you are talking about now.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Rereading your post, I think you were asking about the difference between 747 and 750, and not just a general question about the lowering of COM vs. sitting. I was pointing out that there is not "real" sitting (hip AND knee flexion) that is going on during the move-out. Clearly, there is some lowering form the stride in both. While continuing the pullback or "extra stretch" in 750, the rear leg continues to IR and drive downward while the weight stays "back". I don't think there is a "sitting" that takes place as it might appear, but a longer suspension of the rearward weighted assembly. Rear knee flexion continues for a lower COM. That's what I see, feel, and understand so far.

Thanks coachbob. First of all, I will apologize in advance for not being an anatomy expert. I am teaching myself what I can, but I am behind many of you here. I will comment on a few parts of this post.

Knee flexion - yes I agree that there is knee flexion. There is some in both Bond's clips. But there is more during "750".

Hip flexion - based on my understanding, I will need to disagree with you on this one, but I am open to being convinced otherwise. Due to some things I was noticing during my DDs hitting and pitching training several months ago, I decided to take her for an athletic evaluation. What was determined is that she had tight hip flexors and limited range of motion with her ankles. When performing a squat, she would look very much like the picture on the right. With a regimen of exercises and stretches and diligence on her end, she now falls somewhere in between the first two pictures. In any event, what I understand is that while you are performing this type of action, yes, your knees are obviously in a condition of flexion. However, your hip flexors are also utilized. Based on my understanding, if you simply flex your knees and do not also flex at your hips to maintain the balance, you would fall over backwards. I envision a limbo stick as an activity that would involve knee flexion with no hip flexion.

One thing that concerns me about the way some people try to instruct is by making the assumption that all hitters have the same athletic ability. Bonds is/was an elite athlete (natural or otherwise is another discussion). Most of the players that bucket dads deal with are far from elite. Your DD looks like a very good athlete, but I can't say that about all of the players that I have coached over the past 9 years. Each will have an individual height, weight, strength, speed, flexibility, etc. IMO, the action Bonds is performing in either clip is a matter of maintaining a dynamic balance. Based on the list of attributes that I have listed above, someone like my daughter may need to achieve that dynamic balance in a slightly different way. It may require more or less knee flexion. It may require more or less hip flexion. But she has to deal with the tools she currently has. I hope that makes sense. Like I said, I am far from an expert on this topic. If you or anyone else can show me the error in my thoughts, I would appreciate it.

22fip3.jpg

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Thanks coachbob. First of all, I will apologize in advance for not being an anatomy expert. I am teaching myself what I can, but I am behind many of you here. I will comment on a few parts of this post.

Knee flexion - yes I agree that there is knee flexion. There is some in both Bond's clips. But there is more during "750".

Hip flexion - based on my understanding, I will need to disagree with you on this one, but I am open to being convinced otherwise. Due to some things I was noticing during my DDs hitting and pitching training several months ago, I decided to take her for an athletic evaluation. What was determined is that she had tight hip flexors and limited range of motion with her ankles. When performing a squat, she would look very much like the picture on the right. With a regimen of exercises and stretches and diligence on her end, she now falls somewhere in between the first two pictures. In any event, what I understand is that while you are performing this type of action, yes, your knees are obviously in a condition of flexion. However, your hip flexors are also utilized. Based on my understanding, if you simply flex your knees and do not also flex at your hips to maintain the balance, you would fall over backwards. I envision a limbo stick as an activity that would involve knee flexion with no hip flexion.

One thing that concerns me about the way some people try to instruct is by making the assumption that all hitters have the same athletic ability. Bonds is/was an elite athlete (natural or otherwise is another discussion). Most of the players that bucket dads deal with are far from elite. Your DD looks like a very good athlete, but I can't say that about all of the players that I have coached over the past 9 years. Each will have an individual height, weight, strength, speed, flexibility, etc. IMO, the action Bonds is performing in either clip is a matter of maintaining a dynamic balance. Based on the list of attributes that I have listed above, someone like my daughter may need to achieve that dynamic balance in a slightly different way. It may require more or less knee flexion. It may require more or less hip flexion. But she has to deal with the tools she currently has. I hope that makes sense. Like I said, I am far from an expert on this topic. If you or anyone else can show me the error in my thoughts, I would appreciate it.

22fip3.jpg

Great post; now I have to duck out for an hour. I think it's quite possible to flex knees only, and believe that is what is happening, but I am willing to discuss and be talked out of it too. Riddle me this; what if the hip flexion was preloaded? to be continued...:D

Bonds_715_combo.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl