First year 10U Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
My DD is also 10 - she has taken to the “out of glove” style with no backswing. If you are worried about simple and “less moving parts” it’s about as simple as it gets. As for the 45 degree finish that is what her PC teaches as well.

Nov 22, 2019
Thanks for all the info and feedback. I do have a couple other questions.

My DD uses a double arm wind up and think it’s a lot of moving parts for her and think less movement might help. Her coach is also trying a couple different wind ups trying to see what might work best and minimize any unnecessary movements. What wind ups do your daughters use and have you tinkered with her wind up to see what works best.

Also, her pitching coach wants he to finish at 45 degrees which her chest isn’t directly finishing at the catcher and more of an angle. Has anyone heard of this and finishing that way? If so, anything to emphasize that finish.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 10-U DD also uses no backswing. She went from double to single to none. When she had a single backswing her body would get out of alignment, which would trow her off. Foot lands at around 45 degrees.

Feb 25, 2020
I found Hillhouse before I started with my DD(9 yo). I taught her no backswing because that's what he teaches. I think it has made it easier. She is doing well.

I think windup is style.

Edit: I think Hillhouses single best tip is to do it right along with her. I feel like I act as a mirror much of the time when we throw. I can show her how she looks when she gets wonky.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
'Out of the glove' and 'no backswing' are different. The no backswing in the video has an issue, the hand/ball will be stationary for a short period of time exposing the grip. If the pitcher uses the same grip for all her pitches it's not a problem. In an out of the glove start the ball stays in the glove for the initial part of the upswing so the grip stays hidden from the hitter. A backswing can hide the grip better than dropping out of the glove down to the hip, where the ball is stationary for a second. I have a 16U pitcher dealing with this right now. She uses a circle grip for her change and it's obvious when the hitter knows to look for it. We are working on moving her glove down in front of the ball to block the hitter's line of sight, but it's throwing her off.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
'Out of the glove' and 'no backswing' are different. The no backswing in the video has an issue, the hand/ball will be stationary for a short period of time exposing the grip. If the pitcher uses the same grip for all her pitches it's not a problem. In an out of the glove start the ball stays in the glove for initial part of the upswing so the grip stays hidden from the hitter. A backswing can hide the grip better than dropping out of the glove down to the hip, where the ball is stationary for a second. I have a 16U pitcher dealing with this right now. She uses a circle grip for her change and it's obvious when the hitter knows to look for it. We are working on moving her glove down in front of the ball to block the hitter's line of sight, but it's throwing her off.

That is a keen observation. Very important distinction. Somebody smart said you dont wanna teach something you have to unteach later.

May 4, 2020
Hey All,

My DD just started pitching this year for her 10u travel team. She took some team/group lessons last winter and she enjoyed it and wanted to continue with it. Fast forward through Covid, her season picked up in late summer and prior to the season picking up we got her private lessons. I didn’t think she would be ready to pitch this season and wanted her to continue with private lessons to prepare for next spring but she was eager and asked her coach if she could pitch. She threw on the side for him and decided to let her pitch.

She has been taking lessons for only about three months and making strides and has pitched in games (as #3). She has ups and downs and doesn’t get too high or too low when she’s out there but her biggest issue right now is control.

She does put in the work at home outside of the lessons (even if I have to ask her to practice). I can tell pitching takes a lot of work but trying to get an idea how long it takes to get her control down. I know it’s an odd question and no straightforward answer but looking for a general idea. After 3 months I don’t know where she should be.

I think she has made improvements and at one point asked her coach if she had “it” and if we had something and should continue. He said she did (I don’t think he’s just saying that and pulling my leg and just by seeing some of the results with my DD, I think she’s capable) and we’ve seen improvement and we are continuing with the lessons. I like her pitching coach and he emphasizes drive and speed and and says accuracy will come.

Also, in terms of winter workouts, we are in the Northeast and currently don’t have a facility available to throw at. My house has limited space and wanted to see if anyone has a set up to practice mechanics in limited spaces or what drills they use.

Thanks in advance.

Control takes years. Tons of practice, deduction, good instruction, and yes plenty of $.
I’m from the Northeast as well.
Depending how North and how East I may be able to recommend an indoor practice facility for the Winter.

May 4, 2020
I found Hillhouse before I started with my DD(9 yo). I taught her no backswing because that's what he teaches. I think it has made it easier. She is doing well.

I think windup is style.

Edit: I think Hillhouses single best tip is to do it right along with her. I feel like I act as a mirror much of the time when we throw. I can show her how she looks when she gets wonky.
Wind-up is for momentum and timing. Especially for smaller girls. Taller girls can generate power with just an explosive move forward and good armwhip.
Shorter girls benefit from either rocking, swinging their arms, getting more knee bend, bringing hands over head, or any other way of generating momentum for more power.
Most tall pitchers have pretty simple straight forward approaches to mechanics. (Monica Abbott would be an exception to this)

Oct 26, 2019
'Out of the glove' and 'no backswing' are different. The no backswing in the video has an issue, the hand/ball will be stationary for a short period of time exposing the grip. If the pitcher uses the same grip for all her pitches it's not a problem. In an out of the glove start the ball stays in the glove for initial part of the upswing so the grip stays hidden from the hitter. A backswing can hide the grip better than dropping out of the glove down to the hip, where the ball is stationary for a second. I have a 16U pitcher dealing with this right now. She uses a circle grip for her change and it's obvious when the hitter knows to look for it. We are working on moving her glove down in front of the ball to block the hitter's line of sight, but it's throwing her off.
Great point - I guess I assumed the 2 were one in the same. My DD doesn’t take the ball out of the glove until a little past 3 o’clock out front on the arm swing so I’m guessing that is “out of the glove” as you described. I learn something new everyday.

Jul 14, 2018
What wind ups do your daughters use and have you tinkered with her wind up to see what works best.

DD started with a deep backswing, which I encouraged after watching video of Scarborough and Ueno. Once we found her a Tincher instructor, she started to work on eliminating it.

With this year’s rule change allowing the stride foot to start off the rubber, she went to a no backswing at all, just driving her elbow back.

If anyone follows Footdoctor Esia, he does a lot of work on emulating a sprinters takeoff for FP pitchers. Driving the throwing elbow back signals the muscles in the stride leg to activate, much in the same way a runner uses their arms to time their strides.

In short, DD’s backswing has been in a constant state of change over the years. But at barely 5’2”, her stride is over 7 feet so I feel like she’s on the right track.

Jul 27, 2020
Just wanted to revisit this thread and after some winter lessons and getting started with some spring games my DD has made some good improvements over the last 6 months. She and Her PC tinkered with her wind up. She was originally using a double arm back swing, to single arm and now less of a single arm backswing. PC and I thought it was too much movement and if anything wasn’t perfect and aligned correctly she had to try and recover to get back throwing down her line and finishing 45 and wasn’t as accurate. These last two weeks she was very efficient and yesterday threw 2 innings and only 25 pitches. Most of her pitches outside the zone were near the plate (which her PC has been keeping her cognizant of bc there is always a possibility for a swing and miss or weak hit and sets up other pitches down the line) as opposed to bad missed way outside the zone are wasted. Speed was ok and really wasn’t hit too hard, which I would’ve been ok with knowing she’s in the zone. I Would’ve liked her to throw more but coach is trying out some new pitchers.

I understand she may have to tweak her wind up some more as she gets older sees better hitters who may be able to read her pitches from her wind up but the changes made this winter seem to be working.

She still seems to let her front shoulder open follows the pitch rather than stay back and doesn’t finish 45 and leads to up and away (sometimes not near the strike zone). Trying to keep that in the back of her mind as well as staying tall. Sometimes she has a tendency to shorten up her body as she comes through her arm swing.

I know it’s still a work in progress (as everyone has expressed it’s a marathon and not a sprint) and need to put in the work and glad nice weather is here to get outside and practice more.

I have also learned a bit about myself through all this and understand the need to let her do her thing and make in inning/in game adjustments without me in her ear. I was a nervous wreck last year as her first time out and realized I was prob complicating things for her. I tell her when we practice but during the game I and most likely to mention something between innings if I see something. That too is still a work in progress for me.

I’ll try and add a short video if I am able.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449