13 Y.O. open for discussion.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Work the barrel against the "extra stretch".
2f0avdh.gif

This shows the development of the "extra stretch". Instead saying to continue to pull back, I will say to work /turn the barrel against the "extra stretch".

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
If you just land a little softer with the front leg the weight shifts better. That also will be easier if she strides out a little.
I do believe the back leg is in charge of the stride out, there is no reason the landing on the front knee cant be soft verses stiff legged early.

SL

Thanks SL, so you are saying the weight should be back so the front foot is not bearing much weight on touch. I agree with that.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I was just looking at some Bonds clips, who really gets sat. I think he only gets there in his rear leg. You can really feel him sat while he is all back; the front knee is dangly and not as bent. What causes the lowering when one is sat? I guess it's the knee driving down while leg is IR, but is that a teachable motion, or is it a result of holding your pullbacks while the lower half does its thing. I'll have to take some swings tomorrow. Where's the Advil?

coachbob, You may want to look at this from all angles/planes of motion as well as cause/effect .

Bonds_zps22c82272.gif

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP, IMO he gets his foot down on time for the fb in his zone and sat off-speed.. Using the core movement pattern his core pulse controls the when of the firing.

TDS,

I prefer your terminology in bold over the way I stated it. Your verbiage is clearer, IMO.

In regards to the "core pulse controls the when of the firing", I was focusing more on the 'how he is able to delay the firing' than the act of the firing itself. This is something that I see many young hitters struggle with. They "get their foot down on time for the fb in their zone", but are unable to "sit off-speed".

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
This shows the development of the "extra stretch". Instead saying to continue to pull back, I will say to work /turn the barrel against the "extra stretch".

Fair enough. I am feeling this in the pinch circling (pulling back) of the scapula when the elbow peeks behind. This does "work the barrel" though, so that works too.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Curious what the difference is between "getting sat" and "lowering COG/COM"? I view them both to be the same. Sitting on a pitch and sitting on a chair are different movement patterns. Maybe that is just a terminology difference...

Is there any more hip flexion during the "sitting" period? Or is he suspended over the rear hip/femur while the move-out (wider base) causes the lowering of the COM?

BondsvBonds1.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
TDS,

I prefer your terminology in bold over the way I stated it. Your verbiage is clearer, IMO.

In regards to the "core pulse controls the when of the firing", I was focusing more on the 'how he is able to delay the firing' than the act of the firing itself. This is something that I see many young hitters struggle with. They "get their foot down on time for the fb in their zone", but are unable to "sit off-speed".

FP, IMO there needs to be balance within the frontal/sagittal plane which will allow the body to be dynamically balanced through out the sequence. IOW's the un-tipping element needs to happen within the sagittal plane while moving forward in space.. This will allow the sitting action to be dynamic.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
coachbob, You may want to look at this from all angles/planes of motion as well as cause/effect .

Bonds_zps22c82272.gif

What I see is dead solid rear leg trying to IR which springs the rear hip around on move-out (i.e. weightless front leg). the front butt cheek has to do the inverse, so you can see exactly what is happening. He is clearly very weighted on his rear leg, and the suspended assembly is working around what some like to call the scip axis.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Is there any more hip flexion during the "sitting" period? Or is he suspended over the rear hip/femur while the move-out (wider base) causes the lowering of the COM?

BondsvBonds1.gif

Before I attempt to answer this, can you explain what you mean by "wider base"? Are you suggesting that his stride is longer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl