Stuck in the outfield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
I think wording your comments as a question looking for advise from your coach may be more well received but at 12u and above maybe DD should talk to coach herself first. "coach I like pitching. Do I need more practice? What can I do to get more circle time?"

As a parent,be thankful your DD is on the field! We have a team of super-fast girls and six who rotate in the OF...would you rather she see the bench? I would be happy with full time OF play!

You could always find a weak team to pick up for to get more time.

Jul 28, 2008
I had a parent call me after the state tournament a couple years ago during my 4hr drive home. She told me that she didn't drive "all the way over here to watch my child play in the outfield!" She, too, thought here DD was a 2nd baseman. I calmly told her I have a 24 hour rule and if she wanted to discuss playing time/positions and the fact that her DD never sat during the whole tournament I would gladly sit down with her on Wednesday to talk. Just make sure you bring your DD's uniform with you.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
How many pitchers does the team have? How would you rate your DD as a pitcher against the others? If she is a #3, you might want to consider changing teams if pitching is important to your DD. Mound time is CRITICAL for a pitchers development, and on most teams I have been associated with, the #1 and #2 pitchers account for @ 80% of the mound time, and the #3 may see 20%.

I agree. Just on the wrong team. If your DD wants to pitch, and will work at it, then just focus on that. Take the winter and make her the best. Forget 2nd base too. Work on hitting just as hard. Then this spring, or the next time you tryout, make it clear you are trying out as a pitcher only, and make sure it is at a team practice, where you get the chance to pitch to them, and bat against their developing project pitchers. Don't do any private tryouts. If you can't help them, then keep looking. Every team should be looking for a better pitcher than they got, their problem is they wait til tournaments and find out that the other team got them. Same goes for infielders and outfielders. If you want to develop them, then get on a team that has poor pitching. You can run your legs off with all them runners on bases.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
My DD's first position is pitching, but if she's not in the circle, she LOVES playing outfield! I would stay definitely starting in 12U, the outfield see's plenty of action!

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
As the father of an outfielder how can I not be offended at the OP. Although my daughter gets a few innings at 3b, her new coach has decided she will be the starting CF this fall. She is happy to be playing and undertands the importance of her position at 12U. 4 chances and 4 catches last weekend, she couldn't have been prouder to help her team. Plus backing up at 2b on bunt and slap coverage, etc. Any parent who thinks the OF is not important is not watching the game.

Jun 22, 2008
My daughter played her entire softball career in the outfield and attended 2 years of juco on a full ride, 1 year of D1 on 75% and 1 year at 100%. While I didnt believe in her first softball coaches handling of errors in the outfield (a player committing an error in the outfield was immediately pulled) I did believe in her philosophy. Errors in the infield usually only cost you a base, errors in the outfield cost runs.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We have been blessed with a DD that just likes being on the softball field. In her years of softball I have never heard her express concern about were a coach plays her.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Any parent who thinks the OF is not important is not watching the game.

I think this should be moved to pitching section.

I can only speak for 10U. This is the pitcher initiation time. I think every position is equally important, but not available to all players. It goes without saying that out fielders have to be your better athletes, in the long run. Plus fielders can play basketball & soccer and stay fluid all winter.

I didn't take it as a slam on the outfield position, but just frustration of not making the right team choice. After dedicating the time to exclusive training, & or $... IMO To be a really good pitcher, you can't join in on all the fun of playing on other sports, until you have mastered your mechanics. These other sports are where you can build the Team Player, unlike having to learn to deal with the lost tagged to your #.

Ideally the way it should be, according to the rules, your starting pitcher can come back in. Theoretically #1 comes in and synches the game in the first 2 or 3 innings. Then your able to let the other pitchers in to gain experience, and to see to it that the ball is put into play so that the entire team is in the game. Of course every player is to work on batting year round, so hitting shouldn't be the problem. Things get out of hand, you can always put #1 back in. If your not playing like that, then your team is over matched. Exception would be if pitcher is working on getting the a no-hitter... no walks or HBP. But then you'll have to worry about the next game.

Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, you really endeared yourself to all of us out here who love those parents who complain about their kids being "stuck in the outfield." I'll tell you what, I think the coach ought to put your daughter in the circle and let her pitch without the benefit of an outfield. Let's see how that works.

I guess you probably won't get my point or the point of others on this site. While I understand the point about pitching time, I am not sure why you are complaining about playing in the outfield especially if the coach is telling you, in a rather backhanded manner, that she is at least one of the best outfielders on the team. Why not encourage your daughter to become the best pitcher/outfielder on the team instead of whining ? As the parent of a collegiate outfielder, I can tell you that becoming a great outfielder is worth its weight in gold. She really doesn't get "parked in the grass" much because she spends her time out there working hard and playing the position, which is a lot more involved than you probably know.

But, since I know you won't get this, yes, go complain to the coach, stomp your feet, threaten to leave, and whine. Like Redhot said, you will probably get a reaction from the coach you don't expect.

And, yes, I know this is a harsh response. However, I think you need a little wake up call. It will save you and your daughter a lot of drama and heartache.

wow....but understand your response.

it's very common for inexperienced parents to think that the outfield is for "lesser" players....heck, the coaches, other parents and players, for the most part think that and partically preach it....but as another parent of a 2015 (fall) college bound outfielder, I would tell all the inexperienced parents out there....that there are THREE outfield positions and only one 3B....one SS...one 2B....one 1B and one catcher on the field during a game...

My DD is a pretty good catcher, but became the BEST outfielder around when she learned that the best teams hit balls to the outfield alot more and for a young team to compete at that level you better have some skilled outfielders if you don't want to get run out of the gym (she hates to lose)....and had a couple of solid D2 offers before she started her sophomore year....as an outfielder...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODorr