Stuck in the outfield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
When I hear a parent tell me their kid is a second baseman, I immediately think the kid is a weak fielder who doesn't have much of an arm and can't really play anywhere else in the infield. When the parent tells me their kid is an outfielder, I immediately think the kid must be a good athlete that can track down balls and has a good arm. But that's just me. I'm sure other coaches don't have that bias at all.:rolleyes:

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Today in the final with the bases loaded, DD comes in hard on a short blooper, lays out makes the catch to end the inning. Her team goes on to win 5-0. The third base coach waited till she came in to congratulate her. OF saves the inning and maybe the game.

She plays anywhere she is asked and never feels parked in the OF.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
I have a 2nd baseman who is my starting 2nd baseman. She is the quicest young lady on the team. i put her in the OF when I put my subs in. She says " I don't want to play the OF..I don't feel comfortable catching a flyball and the OF is boring" I tell you now she can play Varsity OF as a 8th grader but what can you do. She wanst to try SS which she is now where ready for but I will practice her there anyway. But until she is ready to play SS, she will play 2nd base and sit the bench! My point is, my OF have something to do on every play no matter who is on base or not on base!! It is not a throw away position!!

"Stuck in the outfield" is one of those softball parent phrases that absolutely drives me nuts.

A couple of years ago I heard this exact same phrase from an angry Momma. Her daughter just wasn't even in the top three at second base, and this was the excuse she had for her quitting our Middle School team three days into the season.

I really thought it was ironic that I was being unfair to her daughter sticking her in left field. Especially since my own daughter, (who could have played half the positions on the field) was starting in Center Field.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD realized how important CF was when the coach told her she was responsible for the area between the foul poles. DDs team does a lot with pick off plays to 1st and 3rd and not all throws are on target. Having a charging OF'er scoop up an errant throw usually keeps the runner from advancing but they have to be charging.

I suspect your DDs team must be younger if they view it as a punishment or a place to stick players of lesser talent.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
What age level does your DD play? What level TB? As my DD has gotten older, and moved up from 'B' to 'A' ball, the importance of good outfielders has gone up exponentially. You had better have girls in the outfield who can run like a deer, get a good jump on the ball coming off the bat, know how to drop step, gives 110% on every ball hit to her - including diving for catches, knows her backup assignments, and has a cannon of an arm.......

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
How many pitchers does the team have? How would you rate your DD as a pitcher against the others? If she is a #3, you might want to consider changing teams if pitching is important to your DD. Mound time is CRITICAL for a pitchers development, and on most teams I have been associated with, the #1 and #2 pitchers account for @ 80% of the mound time, and the #3 may see 20%.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I might be remembering wrong, but didn't you have an issue with a team your dd was on before? then you switched teams and everything was super, and now you are on another team...

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
If one is stuck in the outfield then one and their parents do not understand what the Three Young Ladies are supposed to be doing and are responsible for on EVERY play. Sorry not much sympathy here as OF is a great place to be. Also, Just because the coach knows your DD played as a Pitcher and Second Baseman that does not mean those are her positions on this team, unless you were given a written contract to play as such.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Also, Just because the coach knows your DD played as a Pitcher and Second Baseman that does not mean those are her positions on this team, unless you were given a written contract to play as such.

Am I the only one who read this comment and immediately thought of Coach Lou Brown in "Major League" taking Dorne's contract and pissing on it when he complained about having to do calisthenics? LOL
Lou Brown pee's on Dorne's papers (Major League) - YouTube

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd