Help With Playing Time Issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2011
In my experience there are two types of parent-coaches. The first is someone who love the game, is good at coaching and one way or another ended up coaching his DD's team. The second type is one who volunteers as an "assistant" with the sole intent on using that position to get his DD more playing time.

The bottom line (IMHO) is that the proper thing to do is to give the coaches kid a nod when the talent is close, but I've seen too many times where parental involvement screws over a much better player in favor of the volunteers DD. In the end EVERYONE gets a raw deal because of the train wreck at F4. You can't win consistently by giving the opponents 4+ outs in an inning.

On a related note, I think you can tell a lot about a team by watching F4. This is the position where the DD that is starting because her parent is a coach usually gets put when she is undeserving. It seems that every time I've witnessed a disaster at F4 it turned out to be a DD of one of the coaches.

My opinion anyway, and I am the world's foremost expert on my own opinion.

May 8, 2011
AL
Well I got my reply from her coach via email and the only things he said was that she is a pleasure to coach with a desire to play and that she has alot of potential possibly more than any other player on the team. (not sure I believe that he believes that) He said that all that she needs to focus on is of course her pitching and seeing the ball a little sooner while at bat, she has a beautiful swing but that sometimes she swings a little late and it takes away from some of her power. He also said that could be said for all the players on the team. He said she fields well and has a great throwing arm, especially on long throws.
Interesting...........

Mar 13, 2010
Exactly. Her losing some of her power from swinging late is no reason to have her ride the pine. And if he thinks she has potential why isn't he helping her realise it by playing her more?

Sep 3, 2009
Well I got my reply from her coach via email and the only things he said was that she is a pleasure to coach with a desire to play and that she has alot of potential possibly more than any other player on the team. (not sure I believe that he believes that) He said that all that she needs to focus on is of course her pitching and seeing the ball a little sooner while at bat, she has a beautiful swing but that sometimes she swings a little late and it takes away from some of her power. He also said that could be said for all the players on the team. He said she fields well and has a great throwing arm, especially on long throws.
Interesting...........

Yeah, so aside from maybe seeing the ball a little late (easily fixed btw), no constructive criticism or suggestions. DADDY BALL. Go to tryouts and don't look back. From everything you've explained, I don't see that situation ever changing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA