Help With Playing Time Issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2011
AL
Agreed, definitely to many chefs in the kitchen!! Our manager handles registering for tournaments, talking to parents that kinda thing. We were told at the beginning of the season if we had any issues to speak with him and let the coaches coach, which is why I talked with him about playing time. I respected what they asked of the parents but of course why should he care his daughter plays every inning and bats every game even if she strikes out over and over because boy does she like those eye high pitches :)

May 8, 2011
AL
Not for us, our battery coach is our head coach...... We have 3 coaches, a manager and our ex head coach who coaches from the stands :) he was an excellent coach though, very strategic. In fact I don't think we have really even placed since his departure.......

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I see a couple issues. First, you stated that 6 girls would be returning because they are the coaches and managers DD's. Right there is an issue. That is 6 girls with more gauranteed playing time than your DD. Second, you stated that pool play is for developing players. I agree. You also said that your DD pitched a pool game in tournaments. Sounds like development.

Without knowing the entire situation, it is impossible for anyone to give you advise that would be useful. You have two real choices.

1. Have your DD work her tail off and get so much better, they wouldn't be able to take her out of the lineup. (you know, earn playing time)
2. Find a team where she can play more.

May 8, 2011
AL
Thank you, I agree working her tail off is a great idea, not just for playing time but for herself as well. Hopefully I can get this whole mess worked out, she loves playing competitively and she really enjoys her teammates and of course I want to see her reach the goals she has set for herself!! :)

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Interesting thread-IMHO- too many coaches and managers,
I am willing to bet that their 6 girls are infielders and pitchers/catchers.
Even if your DD catches fire, she will never realize her potential
in the situation as you have described. Buy a Prius and do the drive
to another team. The grass is not always greener, but in your situation
I am sure it is

May 8, 2011
AL
Coach JV, you are exactly right. They are all infielders, pitchers or catchers..... Even the one who couldn't catch a match on fire plays 2nd lol

May 7, 2008
Tucson
In Little League and some other organizations, the manager is the number 1 coach. It is difficult to explain, because most people use the word "coach." So, the manager could very well be the top person.

Sep 3, 2009
The mgr is clearly a waste of your time to talk to. Approach the coach, and tell him/her that you've noticed your dd is sitting quite a bit, and she must not be doing something correctly, or not well. Ask them what that is, and what she needs to do to improve. If they tell you 'everything is fine', go to another team, It *might* be that your dd is lacking in some area, and that is the reason for lack of playing time. I'm just playing devil's advocate here... talk to the coach, and don't be confrontational. If you approach it from that angle, you're basically asking for feedback and suggestions. If you get none, then you've probably got a bad coach, or a daddy ball coach.

They are all infielders, pitchers or catchers..... Even the one who couldn't catch a match on fire plays 2nd lol

That is VERY important in this scenario.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA