Help With Playing Time Issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2011
AL
So heres my dilemma, my DD plays on a 2000 travel team. They just finished their last 10u season and will be moving to 12u this fall. My daughter started playing with them in 2010. We have a 12 player team, last year she had one of the highest batting averages and played both infield and outfield. She has only missed 3 practices total in over a year, never missed a game and never complains. This year however she rarely gets to bat, she has only been able to play the outfield and even that is limited to maybe a few innings in lets say 3 out of 6 games?! She does pitch but usually just in 1 pool play game, which I'm ok with being that she doesn't pitch to her potential at times. She fields well, has a very strong throwing arm and knows what to do. I tried talking to our team manager about this because it upsets her because she doesn't understand what she is doing wrong, why she is on the bench more than anyone else. When I spoke to our manager his response was for me to read our rule book..... We have some very talented players and I understand and agree that during bracket play we need our best in their positions but shouldn't we be using pool play to develop players. How is she supposed to improve and reach her goals if she never sees any action?? She loves playing travel and we put alot of money into her playing between fees, pitching lessons and traveling. The team she plays for is the only team nearby, the other teams are at least an hour away so our choices are slim. What should I do??? Can someone give me advice on how to handle this situation?? I would really appreciate it, I'm at a loss.
Thanks!!

May 8, 2011
AL
No stats as far as in the field but I personally track her offensive stats. Also, they have tryouts at the beginning of fall and spring?? What happened to having core players and only filling spots as needed?? 6 of our 12 players will return no matter what, they are the coaches and manager's daughters.......

May 8, 2011
AL
Also, to clarify my DD is a power hitter, she is 5'1" 115 lbs. She can also bunt great and fake bunt which she does very well. She is a very rounded player.......

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Welcome to the world of Daddy ball. I wish we had more teams within 30 minutes and I'm sure a few people on here chuckled at that as they drive an hour plus to practice. Good luck but until you are one of the coaches or you go to a team coached by someone with no kid on the team you will always see some of it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How is she supposed to improve and reach her goals if she never sees any action??

She won't.

The team she plays for is the only team nearby, the other teams are at least an hour away so our choices are slim. What should I do???

Get one of those credit cards that gives you 3% back on gasoline purchases and find a team where she will play.

Either (1) your DD is playing on a team that is too advanced for her or (2) the team coach is a horse's rear-end. In either case, the solution is to find another team.

It is possible that your DD isn't good enough for the team. (My DD played D1 softball, and she wasn't good enough for every TB team in our area. Such is life...) If so, then the only solution is to find a team where she is a better fit.

If the coach is a Daddy-ball coach, then things aren't going to get any better. So, your best bet would be to find another team for your DD.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Did you approach the coach and ask about playing time and all he said was check the rule book? Or was there a whole conversation with back and forth and then finally he said, "its allowed check the rule book"? Because it seems like there has to be more to this story.

May 8, 2011
AL
I wish I could say there was a possibility that this team was too advanced but unfortunately that most definitely is not the case. We have one player, super sweet but couldn't catch a beach ball in a 20 foot net. She has only not struck out 1 time in 12 tournaments. We have a good team but its far from the best :(
I have not spoken with the head coach, I spoke with our team manager and we did have a conversation and yes he said that he never questions the coaches decisions and told me to refer to the rule book, that playing time is not guaranteed. I spoke with one of our assistants and he said he didn't understand it either. Also, this is our 2nd head coach of the season. Our 1st head coach quit due to issues with the manager, his daughter still plays however. I was thinking of looking into the teams further away, I don't mind making the drive I just wasn't sure if maybe I was over reacting.

Mar 13, 2010
I would definitly look into a new team, but go to the head coach and say 'I noticed DD hasn't been playing as much. What can she do to get more playing time?' You'll know how to act from the answer.

May 8, 2011
AL
Thank you, I most definitely will. They have fall tryouts in 3 weeks and I would love to know what she needs improvement on by their standards. My DD practiced last year with one of the top 10u teams along the Gulf Coast and the only complaint their head coach had was she needed to be more aggressive on base running, which I agreed with so we made that a focus.

Mar 13, 2010
What is the difference between a coach and manager? Do they need one of each and more? How does a manager cause the head coach to leave

There is a difference. A manager looks after the players both in the dugout and off the diamond. (or should be) The coaches worry about the diamond.

A good manager is a coach's dream. They don't have to organise lunches, money, trips and so on.

Anything more than one assistant coach is too many. POSSIBLY a battery coach, but if a team is in an organisation, there should be one for the entire organisation.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA