Playing Up 8U-10U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Locally, that pitching ruleset in rec is called Modified Pitch and is played in 8U. It should make the games much more playable even if the pitchers can't pitch.

Yes, it certainly helps.

But honestly, what helps the most is getting to "real" rules. Might be a personal thing, but remembering all the goofy rules of Rec was insane. It was nice to get to just regular softball.

Mar 29, 2023
Yes, it certainly helps.

But honestly, what helps the most is getting to "real" rules. Might be a personal thing, but remembering all the goofy rules of Rec was insane. It was nice to get to just regular softball.

Absolutely. We had a rules in that Modified Pitch rule set that switched the game from Modified Pitch to purely Coach Pitch starting in the 4th inning, and then in the 5th inning it allowed unlimited runs unlike the rest of the innings had a run-limit. There would be games where teams would be winning in the regular ruleset then the rules randomly change and the entire balance changes. :mad:

I've noticed other sports do this, too, like rec basketball allowing full court pressing only in the final 2 minutes.

I presume it's to try to avoid ties, but I really do not enjoy rules that change during the game like that.

Apr 14, 2022
10U Rec is the worst of the worst.

Girls get to pitch, yay!!!!!!

Here's how many games go. First batter walks. Three wild pitches in a row and the girl has now scored a run. Next pitch is ball 4.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Actually pondered whether it was more sportsmanlike when up big to stop running or to keep running and hit the run rule sooner to put the pitcher out of their misery?

Nov 9, 2021
Actually pondered whether it was more sportsmanlike when up big to stop running or to keep running and hit the run rule sooner to put the pitcher out of their misery?

It’s a fair question. If unsure I often ask the other coach discretely what they prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 1, 2022
Yes, it certainly helps.

Yes, I would prefer getting to real rules sooner as well. Lot of parents here want their kids to dominate 8u coach pitch when I feel they should have just moved up. The stronger kids 8u kids actually risk injuring new players with their batted balls off hot composite bats, trying to hit balls over the fence on the tiny 8u field.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2019
MN

Here's how many games go. First batter walks. Three wild pitches in a row and the girl has now scored a run. Next pitch is ball 4.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Gave me an idea that 10U should have their own fields: Shorter fences, shorter bases, and haul in a few yards of infield dirt to create a sloping berm behind the catcher up to the backstop so all those wild pitches roll up the berm, then back down to the catcher. Those 10U catchers are really dragging after a few innings of retrieving every single ball.

Jun 18, 2023

Lather, rinse, repeat.

This is why you really shouldn't allow much stealing, or at least, in the lower levels of 10u. If it's not actually a competitive battle between catcher and runner, you might as well just let them have second base on the walk. or just don't allow it. Or at least, limited. 3 steals an inning, can only steal second, something like that. Teaches them to look for the steal, teaches the catcher the importance of holding onto the ball..

At the very least, some of these rules should be optional game day decisions between the coaches.

run per inning limits for sure. The go-to move for everyone in our league is to save the starter/ace pitcher to pitch the unlimited inning, so you get a little less of that. I know we had one game last year, we were down like 15-6, last inning, we wanted to work in an inning for someone else rather than our #1 and the opposing team (#1 in the league, and clearly taking it much more seriously) just kept taking pitches. They weren't strikes, but they were hittable.
6 walks, a single to first , walk, strikeout, 2 more walks, single to third, walk, single up the middle.

We changed pitchers, which we hate to do mid-inning.

GO, single, K. 27-6

And then they brought back their ace for the bottom of the inning!

Jan 1, 2024
To all the naysayers... Give'em a break! They have to start somewhere. It does not matter what rules modifications they play under. It does not matter how many BB's or HP's hitters suffer in the batter's box. It does not matter how blue calls the strike zone. It does not matter what scores look like or how lopsided games are. Do not frame the first year of kid-pitch in terms of real softball or how boring or hair-pulling it is for adults. Make it fun for them regardless. Take 'em for ice cream... You are developing our future players and they will eventually become competent despite what they look like now.

Oct 4, 2018
No, not the 6-4-3 kind. The caught a pop fly and tagged someone kind. Still pretty fun when you're 7 or 8.

Gotcha, that's what I was thinking you'd say. That is impressive for that age, both from a skill level and a mental level. Well done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles