Playing Up 8U-10U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 1, 2024
Parents must be VERY careful about pushing an 8 year old beyond what she is truly ready for. It has to be fun, and progression must be at her pace. Lead her... do not push her. Many kids who are pushed end up pushing back and dropping out of the game as teenagers.

Oct 4, 2018
Ask her.

Honestly, at this age I think the most important thing is for her to love the game. If she wants to stay down and play with friends, encourage that and let her. If she wants to play up and challenge herself, encourage her and let her.

Her success in life and in softball won't be dictated by this choice, at this age.

May 13, 2021
Don't play up, look for a better competition level, better coaching at your age group
I agree with this get on the best team you can for your age, only exception being if you have a girl that can pitch and wants to move up to pitch. If you are playing 10u at the lowest levels it is brutal, and really the only one getting quality reps is the pitcher. Now if you are talking 10u at the highest levels that is a different story.

Jun 11, 2013
A lot depends on her maturity both physical and mental. Some 8's are bigger than others and some more mature so it really matters in both instances. Don't worry about 3 years from now worry about now and make that decision. I really wish more kids would just play their ages like the boys tend to do. If all the best players play up it dilutes all the leagues below them but for softball this seems be the norm.

Jul 1, 2022
Keeping the down in her age group is definitely an option I am considering.

Last summer she played with and held her own on a team of 2014/2015s. She will be playing all stars this spring/summer with all 2015s who will be moving up next year. Once they do, my DD will have vastly more experience than the rest of the 2016/2017s that will be in 8u.

I hate to say it but it seems like the league *may* be shrinking? 2014 was very deep. 2014/2015s had enough interest to field 3 all star teams last summer. This summer there might not be enough interest from 2016s to field even a 2nd team. This is one reason why I am considering keeping her with the 2015s by moving her up early to 10u.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
Keeping the down in her age group is definitely an option I am considering.

Last summer she played with and held her own on a team of 2014/2015s. She will be playing all stars this spring/summer with all 2015s who will be moving up next year. Once they do, my DD will have vastly more experience than the rest of the 2016/2017s that will be in 8u.

I hate to say it but it seems like the league *may* be shrinking? 2014 was very deep. 2014/2015s had enough interest to field 3 all star teams last summer. This summer there might not be enough interest from 2016s to field even a 2nd team. This is one reason why I am considering keeping her with the 2015s by moving her up early to 10u.

Perhaps she moves to a travel team for 10U.

That's when we moved, and it worked well.

Jul 1, 2022
Perhaps she moves to a travel team for 10U.

That's when we moved, and it worked well.
10u rec is that bad, huh?

I was hoping to avoid going to travel that early but it is an option I suppose.

Jun 18, 2023
10u rec is that bad, huh?

I was hoping to avoid going to travel that early but it is an option I suppose.

10u is hardly a monolith. What's your league like? What are the rules like? Especially for a catcher, that can play in. What types of steals are allowed? Can you advance on an overthrow from the catcher, etc. Our rec league has no penalty for a failed pickoff by the catcher, so it encourages them to get used to making that throw and practicing making that throw without suddenly allowing a run to score from first on a pickoff throw.

Jun 29, 2023
I think there are different meanings of travel. I think you can get with a good coach/team at 10u and not actually spend the night in that many hotels.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles