AROD fights back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It is not uncommon in sports for great players to describe their mechanics in ways that do not match what high speed video shows to be true. My introduction to this was with the great Jack Nicklaus, who wrote an instructional book and within a year was admitting that he was wrong. He said that his play deteriorated when he tried to swing the way he thought he swung. He eventually went back to his original teacher and got straightened out.

Somebody brought up Jenny finch as a case in point. My daughter took pitching lessons from former All-American, Olympian, and NPF player Danielle Henderson. She taught wrist snap-HE. She allowed me to take video of one of her practice sessions as she prepared for the NPF season. She did not pitch what she taught. When I showed her the high-speed video that I had taken and asked her about it she basically said that the video lied and that she did actually pitched the way she taught. She said "It's in there you just can't see it".

Andre Agassi said that on his forehand he rolled his wrist into contact, video shows that he rolls his wrist after contact.

Great players may make good coaches but they rarely make good instructors, there is a big difference between the two.

The Hanson Rule rules, if you can't see it, it's not in there, no matter what some All Star says.

Every single one of his swings, he is down to. His hand articulations are the same. Was his demo exaggerated. Sure.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
SBpeFWg.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
He hits a homer :) Just trying to show how the barrel is changing direction in preparation for the whip down towards the ball.

Mar 9, 2018
AROD is always ripping launch angle. What did they do on espn last night immediately after Kris Bryant's home run? Put up a chart on launch angle and praising Bryant for his great launch angle.....he's a talking head plain and simple. He obviously doesnt believe what he is saying. He says what he does for this reason alone, that we are all talking about it the next day

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
He hits a homer :) Just trying to show how the barrel is changing direction in preparation for the whip down towards the ball.
Thanks! What I was wanting to see was whether his shoulders continued like a Ferris Wheel (or tilt a whirl) rotating to create a "launch angle" or if he continued in a downward path to create backspin "like a golfer".

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Thanks! What I was wanting to see was whether his shoulders continued like a Ferris Wheel (or tilt a whirl) rotating to create a "launch angle" or if he continued in a downward path to create backspin "like a golfer".

KiEEohz.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I will not comment on Brooke’s swing. I will just say I think ‘it let her down’. I really don’t wish to speak of it anymore. I don’t want to bash her or her Dad AT ALL.

Just for clarification...Brooke was "let down" by a knee injury, not her swing. I'm not sure if her knee was ever 100% during her shortened college career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish